G5 lockup w/err: "Safari.app has been updated and moved...."

Reaction score
Hi all,

A couple of times the past couple of months my G5 has locked up, apparently due to a Safari software bug. It when running Safari - the Mac just locks up, and eventually the fan starts running really hard, apparently due to the processor just being off in the weeds. I have to do a hard power-down.

After coming up, I then get this message:

"Safari.app has been updated and moved. Do you want to change all your keychain items to allow the new version access to your keychain?

This change is permanent and affects all keychain items used by Safari.app"

I have no clue what this means, as I'm not familiar with Mac keychain items. I've tried both responses, neither of which make the problem go away.

I'm now in a condition where I can't use Safari, as it locks up the Mac. Earlier it did auto-download a new version - 4.0.5, but the problem still exists.

Thanks for any help!

OP
W
Reaction score
Just now the lockup happened again even though I hadn't opened Safari. So it seems to be a more general OSX problem perhaps.

Reaction score
Run Disk Utility - verify the hard drive and and repair permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Helps if you do provide the OS and G5 details. Suggest trashing Safari, go to Apple web site and download the correct version for your OS. Take care as Safari comes in Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger and Windows flavours.

Downloading a little Utiliity called Applejack may help, print and read the instructions and do a deep clean using auto restart. Don't worry about the fans if you do this. In Single User mode they are like a jumbo preparing for takeoff. Keep us posted?

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorry should've included that. I have OSX version 10.4.11. The G5 is PowerMac 7,3 - 2.3 GHz dual-cpu, with 1 GB memory. Safari version is 4.0.5.

Anyhow - I ran the Disk Utility - First Aid. It seems to be OK now. It's odd though in that it didn't allow to me do "Repair Disk" - that option is grayed out; only the "Verify Disk" option is available, which I ran. I did do Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions, and it did fix some internet utilities things.

It seems to be OK, at least for now.

Thanks for the help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You cannot repair disk on the volume you are booted from. You need to boot from the OS disc and run it from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.