• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A 'WinTel' Mini...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
soiunds like a new tool for wanna be mac users that are affraid to switch. i also read the story on Cherry OS, very interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
It says that Mac minis are "Flying off the shelves" and Apple is selling 40,000 a month. That seems to me to be a lot of sales for Apple, and a lot of people getting into Macs. Maybe the Mini and iPod halo effect are really working...

I guess that's why WinTel is trying to slow Apple down a little bit...Not gonna happen :D Go Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
this has been on slashdot and got a slating as they said its no where near the size of the mini

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

I was just waiting for this to happen ... after leading several concept PC design teams at Intel - and easily designing protoypes almost as small as the Mini. But they never went beyond the concept stage for 2 primary reasons:

- First Intel marketing had no frame of reference in how they would sell these ... "Where's the value ?" , "Intel users want slots-n-watts !", and more telling "if we enable small boxes, that may inhibit our future CPU power levels".

-Second Intel has the opposite problem that Apple has. For Intel the market is flooded with cheap sh!t-box PCs using Celerons - they need/want to sell high end PCs. While Apple has been able to maintain its price / value margins -- it needed a low end entry box. So there was no incentive for Intel to do this.

But now Intel feels it needs to respond to Apple (that should make you all feel good ... tail is wagging the dog).

But the interesting thing is that they are using a mobile processor to do this - and this is a huge price increase (in the PC world) in the cpu price.

Reaction score
I'll might buy one, it doesn't have to be as small but just enough to run a littler server on. I need something for teamspeak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well, that was bound to happen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.