Is there a way to download software updates and install on another computer?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying my niece a Mac for her birthday. The thing is she's on a dial up connection. When I got my Mac it took about 2 hours or so to download all of the updates and that's on a DSL connection. Is it possible to download these updates for her and put them on a disc so her first week of using her Mac wouldn't consist of waiting for updates to download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you do a update via the System Updater note down all the updates then go directly to  site and manually dl them. Then with the .dmg files all you need to do is drag and drop them onto a flash drive, and viola you have them to put on your nieces Mac.
Wish i had a Aunty/Uncle like you lol

I personally do this especially with the bigger updates, like the 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 ... Its something like 724mb. I keep a update file that i save these, in case i to a OS reinstall and such. You will always have them at your beckon call :)

Cheers

EDIT : and FYI when getting the system update, ie 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 ALWAYS get the combo update. Cant stress this enough. It goes over and beyond the Automatic update that isnt the combo one ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How far away does she live? May well be easier to bring her machine to you, set up with your account etc as a second account, and update via your broadband.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you buy a Mac at an Apple Store, the updates will be loaded on it by their "geeks" in the back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if that Mac is to be a new model double check that it even comes with a dial up modem and steer clear of USB modems unless they set it up and run it for you in the store.

OP
N
Reaction score
She lives only a few minutes away, so it might not be a bad idea to do the updates on my connection. However, I didn't think about whether the Mac I'd buy her would have a dial up modem or not, I just assumed. The Macbook I have doesn't have a dial up modem which is fine for me, but I don't plan on buying her a better internet connection so the model I have is out. I'll either have to get her a Mac that has a dial up modem (and do any new models have that?) or...well honestly I'm not sure what my other options would be for her then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On investigation you will find dial up modem built in or even connectable are a thing of the past with all MB and MBP and iMacs coming with Airport. Your avatar does not say where you are located, but you may be able to help her find a reasonably priced 256KB broadband ISP which will be five times faster than dial up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.