Preview App - How to cycle through all photos in a folder

Reaction score
Hello

New to mac but finding it really annoying that i cannot just open one pic in a folder and then press next to cycle through them all.

Ive found if you select all and open with preview it does what im after but some of my folders contain other file types so selecting only images is a nightmare, is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Preview does just what you tell it to do, you select an image, it shows you an image, if you want to see all the images in a folder, open the folder instead of an image. I find it easiest to just drag the folder from Finder to the dock and drop on Preview, but you can do it from Previews Edit >Open dialog box and just double click the folder or select it and click "Open". Just make sure that in Previews Preferences under the "General" tab that "Open all files in one window" is checked. The only files that I know of that will appear besides images doing this is PDF's.

C

chas_m

You don't even need to bother opening Preview if you're running Leopard or Snow Leopard (which I presume you are).

I routinely "examine" photo folders by selecting all the photos in the folder (command-a), then pressing the spacebar. Instant little slideshow (can be made full screen, paused, manually controlled etc). This is called QuickLook and its very useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Quicklook is what I use. Just spacebar on the first photo, then use the down arrow to switch to the next photo in the folder.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
+1 for QuickLook as well. It's one of my most used features. In addition to graphics it can give you a look at several other types of files. There are even a few plugins out there to extend the types of files it can examine.

Reaction score
Copies?

Do third party viewers make copies of your pictures that then take up space on your computer? I have a 3T external hard drive and I'd like to scroll through them like I did on my PC (now I have a MacBookPro) and I need the pictures to stay ONLY on that hard drive. I'm very disappointed that my Macbook doesn't give me this option on its own since I bought it thinking that since every other device/computer I've used (both idevices and PCs) have this feature, and now suddenly Mac decides be different...?? What's the deal with that? :Angry-Tongue:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but we have no idea how you scrolled through them on your PC nor what application you used to view pics on your PC. There are probably well over a hundred such apps out there, not counting Windows Explorer, nor the Finder & Quicklook on your Mac.

For those wanting to stick somewhat to "what they know", I usually suggest Picasa.

M

MacInWin

@Julesn, can you tell us what you mean by "scroll through?" If you mean you want to see the content of the pictures, Finder has a view that does that. If you want to open a bunch and have a slide show, Preview does that. But, as bobtomay indicated, until we know what you are talking about, it's hard to get you to what you need to do that.

Reaction score
If you just want to see the photos just use Quick Look and the arrow keys. Select a Photo and then tap the Space Bar and use the arrow keys to scroll up and down. You can only view the photos or Share them by email or on some web site, but no editing. If you want to do some editing like Renaming, Moving or Deleting them use Preview that came on your Mac. Preview does just what you tell it to do, you select an image, it shows you an image, if you want to see all the images in a folder, open the folder instead of an image. Just make sure that in Previews Preferences under the "General" tab that either "Open all files in one window" or "open groups of files in the same window" is checked and under the "View" menu that "Thumbnails" is checked. You can set up Preview to show you the files in several different ways. I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together, plus they are well integrated into the operating system and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine. Don't forget that "Quick Look" also works well for browsing all kinds of files (images, music, PDF, text and etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.