How to know temperature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Ok. I'm sure it's just my windows paranoia acting up on me, being a new switcher and all. However, earlier today my MBP was vibrating slightly. It was very subtle, and could only tell when my hands were on the hand rests. The computer was slightly warm, too. Not noticeable to the touch, but after sitting on my lap a while, I had a bit of a warm spot on my pants. I figure the vibrating had to either be the hard drive spinning or the cooling fan.

As I said, I'm sure that I'm just being paranoid, however, I think it would be a good idea to know exactly how hot my computer is running. I see that lots of people quote their temps, so where do I need to go, or what proggie do I need to tell me what the temp is?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your new MBP is not a "laptop", it's a notebook computer. Keeping it on your lap is not only hazardous to you, but as you found out, it also adds to the heating of the machine. Keep it on a flat sturdy surface or a notebook stand to enhance cooling. Notebook stands also serve another purpose; keeps those nasty spills away. :Smirk:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It's totally a laptop. As long as you leave the center of it with open air beneath it (screen especially), it will vent well enough.

Happy St. PAtty's day. Go beer. Drunk posts ftw.

Download iStat Menu or SMC fan control. I'm personally a proponent of iStat.

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Well, while I appreciate the input (I really do), I'll continue to use it on my lap, because that's why I bought it. Not that I'm against using on a flat surface, or anything, but there's not always one readily available. Not sure about the laptop...er, notebook stand. I'll have to look into it and see if it's too much trouble to lug around.

And without getting into an argument of semantics, I like to think of it, not as a notebook computer, but rather a lap-warming app reader. lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well, while I appreciate the input (I really do), I'll continue to use it on my lap, because that's why I bought it.
Notebook aren't designed to be "suffocated" by soft surfaces such as laps. You'll find yourself running into more trouble than anything. My guess is that you'll monitor your temperature and then get concerned when it gets high because it isn't ventilating properly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
May go ahead and get one of these, that way I don't have to worry about over-heating, because now I'm paranoid. Rain Design iLap stand for the Macbook 13" - Apple Store (U.S.)

You haven't posted any temperatures yet...but it's quite possible your values will be within normal parameters that other members have reported. And thus it would be unnecessary to purchase any additional products.

Just a thought. Post your laptop temps...and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the laptop sitting in front of me on the bed. Not lap.

CPU Diode: 100
Enclosure Bottomside: 79
Enclosure Bottomside position 2: 79
Enclosure Bottomside position 3: 77
Enclosure Bottomside postion 4: 81
Main Heatsink 2: 95
Main Heatsink F: 93
Northbridge Position 1: 90
SMARTdisk Hitaci: 79
CPU Core 1: 93
CPU Core 2: 90

All farenheit. It's worth mentioning that since I've begun typing this, all of the enclosures and the diode are heating up rapidly.

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More than anything, I don't know which numbers I need to be watching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
CPU temp is the most important. Yes, lap = better than bed.

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it leveled off right at 108.

Reaction score
You know I notice that my machine heats up when im playing wow. I need to try that temperature monitor program i guess and watch it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With the laptop sitting in front of me on the bed. Not lap.

CPU Diode: 100
Enclosure Bottomside: 79
Enclosure Bottomside position 2: 79
Enclosure Bottomside position 3: 77
Enclosure Bottomside postion 4: 81
Main Heatsink 2: 95
Main Heatsink F: 93
Northbridge Position 1: 90
SMARTdisk Hitaci: 79
CPU Core 1: 93
CPU Core 2: 90

All farenheit. It's worth mentioning that since I've begun typing this, all of the enclosures and the diode are heating up rapidly.

If these temps are in "F"...then these temps are not bad at all!:)

Remember...average room temperature this time of year in North America is around 68-70F...so some of your temps are not much higher than room temperature. And your temps in the 90's are just like a Summer day.

Go to YouTube...and watch some videos for about 10-20 minutes. Now your temps will REALLY climb!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

SweetCosmicPope:

PLEASE ACTUALLY READ the Official Temperature thread linked above.

1. Your posted temperatures are not only perfectly normal, they're on the low side. Machines work perfectly fine at temperatures that "sound" hot to a human being. Ask any car mechanic.

2. Believe it or not, Apple actually DID design a cooling system for your Mac. Of all the things in the world there are to worry about, this is not one of them. Your initial post was spot on: this is Windows paranoia, and you really should let go of it.

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I checked it out either last night or this morning. I was glad to see it wasn't too bad. I only ran the thing for about an hour, but it seems like it's good. Was just worried, because I couldn't feel any movement, as if it wasn't on, and then suddenly I can feel it. It was subtle, so that's why I was sure I was just paranoid. But I spent a good chunk of change on that machine, so I wanted to make sure I don't screw it up (ask my wife. I'm absolutely anal about protecting all of my electronics).

Thanks for all of the help everybody. I do feel alot better, now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.