Copy Bootcamp Windows to new partition

Reaction score
Hi, I am just about to upgrade my MacBook PRO hard rive from 120gb to something more useful, at least 250gb. I will obviously cloning my drive to regain all my programs and data etc.

I currently have Windows XP installed on a 10gb partition via Bootcamp. I've decided that when I install my new drive, I would like to have a bigger partition for Windows. Now I am aware that you can't change the size of a Bootcamp partition after it has been setup, but is there a way that I can backup my current Windows partition and then remove it, and setup another blank partition for my Windows installation, but copy my Windows backup onto it instead of installing Windows from scratch?

Reaction score
Winclone

You should be able to use something like Winclone or Ghost to copy the partition and then restore to a bigger partition. Winclone it pretty easy to use for this kind of thing.
One thing to note, if Windows is on a partition in a different place in the partition table than previously you will need to edit the boot.ini file before Windows will boot otherwise you will get hal.dll errors. Also if you use NTFS you won't be able to easily modify this from within OSX (although I believe there are ways to do so) so you may need something like a BART disk to boot into for the editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.