250MB of data for iPad

Reaction score
Okay..so this question may have already been answered but as you all know there are two different service plans for the iPad if you get the 3G model.

-250MB
&
-Unlimited

Exactly how much browsing and stuff can you do on 250MB a month? Does this include texting? Phone calls? Emails? etc..

Can the average human get by on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
On my iPhone I typicaly only use about 50-100mb a month. But, I to have it set up to a lot of wifi hot spots in all the areas I goto... I'm guessing the iPads usage would be about the same. Keep in mind this also depends on how much you use it, there is no real way to tell until you have it in your hands and try it out. I'm sure the first month or two everyone will be using them alot, but it will die down a bit once the newness wears off.

As far as phone calls and text, the iPad does not do them. There may be 3rd party apps later that allow them, but nothing from Apple or AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
250MB is a lot if you're just browsing the web, sending/receiving email (without large attachments) and using other apps. You only start to eat up space quickly when you download music, movies, and TV shows.

Th iPad is not a phone, so there is no ability to make phone calls or send text messages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I would imagine, or at least hope, that if you hit the 250MB wall that you would simply be notified and given the option to upgrade to unlimited for another $15 rather than being auto-charged another $15 for just another 250MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the iPad will notify you when you have 20%, 10%, and 0% remaining, then give you the option to purchase 250MB more, or upgrade to unlimited for the rest of the month.

Edit: Here we go: Apple Provides Details On How To Manage iPad 3G Data Plans

And this: "AT&T’s 3G service plans for the iPad also provide users with access to over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots as an added bonus. What do you think?"

Interesting...

C

chas_m

The 250MB plan is a cheaper option for people who will only occasionally be using 3G and mostly relying on WiFi (as I would be here in my hometown). It covers a good amount of things like email and surfing, but will disappear quickly if you do something like download files, listen to internet radio or buy a lot of iTunes music (et al).

The "unlimited" option (which I think is actually 5GB) is a better option for people who expect to be using 3G a lot (frequent GPS and infrequent access to Wifi).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
And this: "AT&T’s 3G service plans for the iPad also provide users with access to over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots as an added bonus. What do you think?"

Interesting...

Just like the iPhone.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The "unlimited" option (which I think is actually 5GB) is a better option for people who expect to be using 3G a lot (frequent GPS and infrequent access to Wifi).

Unlimited = 5G and is not really unlimited. That's false advertising if I've ever seen it. What a crock. I've read about these so called unlimited mobile data plans. And unlimited they so are not.

C

chas_m

the8thark: I completely agree with you that calling it "unlimited" is false advertising (though I'll bet there's a tiny-print disclaimer in there somewhere), but for all intents and purposes 5GB *is* unlimited to 99% of users.

Here in Canada many iPhone owners have a 6GB/$30 deal that comes up periodically and again 99% find they can't actually use it all up without trying really hard.

Your "unlimited" home internet also has bandwidth caps, whether you know it or not. They're just a lot bigger caps. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? How does that work? I never knew this lol...

If you own an iPhone then you have free access to all AT&T hotspots.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks guys for all the responses. That answered my question very well. Im just going to be sticking with the 250MB because im just a typical iPhone user plus I have a MacBook Pro and iTouch so ill just stick with the 250

that does mean I can get internet access anywhere right? Doesnt it run of the EDGE network like phones? or do I need to be in a 3G coverage area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would assume 3G ipad would only work in an area with 3G network coverage.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay so new question here:

pros and cons for purchasing a Wifi only iPad and pros and cons for purchasing a Wifi + 3G Ipad

If there is already a post about this please direct me to it because I will be ordering one shortly.

Discuss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright. Thanks guys for all the responses. That answered my question very well. Im just going to be sticking with the 250MB because im just a typical iPhone user plus I have a MacBook Pro and iTouch so ill just stick with the 250

that does mean I can get internet access anywhere right? Doesnt it run of the EDGE network like phones? or do I need to be in a 3G coverage area?

Just a guess here, but I'm fairly certain that it will function over EDGE in addition to 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
I read somewhere that the iPad will notify you when you have 20%, 10%, and 0% remaining, then give you the option to purchase 250MB more, or upgrade to unlimited for the rest of the month.

Edit: Here we go: Apple Provides Details On How To Manage iPad 3G Data Plans

seeing that i'm kinda confused with the statement "to purchase 250mb more" will the data plans be like a pay as you go structure ? and not on a contract ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been mentioned numerous times in this very thread. Please read a bit more closely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
seeing that i'm kinda confused with the statement "to purchase 250mb more" will the data plans be like a pay as you go structure ? and not on a contract ?

Well you could read up or someone could be nice and directly answer you.

"to purchase 250mb more" is pay as you go. Like a pre-paid plan for your phone. But instead it's a pre-paid 3G data plan for your ipad. And you just get more data when you need it in increments/multiples of 250MB a time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.