Pretty Dumb Question

Reaction score
OK...I am not a bright guy, so break it down for me like I'm a 5 year old...
On my new 27" iMac I have my external audio speakers plugged into the back of the unit. Funny thing is, I can't figure out how I am going to hook up headphones when I need to use them other than to spin the monitor around, unplug the speakers, then plug in the headphones. What are some other more user-friendly ideas?
Blue skies-
Jeff

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both my Logitech and Klipsch computer speakers have headphone jacks on them so I can just plug in the headphones right into the speakers.

What speakers are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Both my Logitech and Klipsch computer speakers have headphone jacks on them so I can just plug in the headphones right into the speakers.
Same here for the basic speakers that came with my old HP monitor.

what I did when my speakers had no jack I could use was to use an adaptor to split the output in the back and just run a cable to plug my headphone into...
...which you can probably pick up at an electronics store today!

C

chas_m

And here's another option that I think is perhaps even cooler!

Use Bluetooth headphones! :)

Reaction score

Good thinking, Batm..err..chas ;)
I wonder if there are any BT headphones that can be paired to two devices, simultaneously, so I could have my phone and my mini paired and the itunes track (for example) would cut out and connect the incoming call automatically. :Cool:

Gonna have to go google up some research, now.. See what you've done, Chas? :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Unless you care what your audio sounds like, and I do. As it is listening to mp3 stuff is hard enough for me to do... with the wishy washy cymbals (especially ride cymbal) sound...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recommend either the splitter (if your speakers have really good sound quality) or up yourself to a nicer set of speakers, and make sure they have a 3.5mm line out from one of the units.

Me, being the big spender that I am (which sucks when you don't make a lot of money) would go for a nice surround sound 5.1 set, which should on the controller have a headphone jack out. I used to have my Logitech x680s and they were BEASTS. I need to find and buy a fuse for them, actually, and then they will be back in business. Can anyone tell me where I might find some good prices and reliable service for buying a fuse online?

I think it's a slow burn 2A that I need, but really if you've got any tips as to where to look, let me know!

Anyway, yea. That way you get not only a more user friendly result which is what you're looking for, but a really nice upgrade to some new speakers, and we all know shiny new toys make the world go round. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use the splitter as DarkestRitual suggests and remember the golden rule ... there are no dumb questions just dumb answers at times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I recommend either the splitter (if your speakers have really good sound quality) or up yourself to a nicer set of speakers, and make sure they have a 3.5mm line out from one of the units.

Me, being the big spender that I am (which sucks when you don't make a lot of money) would go for a nice surround sound 5.1 set, which should on the controller have a headphone jack out. I used to have my Logitech x680s and they were BEASTS. I need to find and buy a fuse for them, actually, and then they will be back in business. Can anyone tell me where I might find some good prices and reliable service for buying a fuse online?

I think it's a slow burn 2A that I need, but really if you've got any tips as to where to look, let me know!

Anyway, yea. That way you get not only a more user friendly result which is what you're looking for, but a really nice upgrade to some new speakers, and we all know shiny new toys make the world go round. :)

You should be able to get a fuse at about any auto parts store, or a wal-mart. I assume that it is just a standard bullet fuse, right? You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, depending on what speakers you have, you could even get a 40 dollar set and upgrade instead of spending 15-20 on a splitter at an electronics store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to get a fuse at about any auto parts store, or a wal-mart. I assume that it is just a standard bullet fuse, right? You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.

Excellent. I grew up in the computer age, so I have no idea what the inside of an auto store looks like. :) It's been a few years since I went with my dad. But yea, that's good to know. I'll look it up and head on over to one of the local stores. :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Using JBL Platinum Series speakers routed through a Yamaha subwoofer (yes, I DO care what the music sounds like!). The JBLs have an output jack on front...funny thing is when I plug headphones in: a) the speakers are muted, b) no sound through the headphones, & c) the subwoofer is still thumping. On the old (cough-cough) PC when I plugged headphones into the front of the tower, everything was copasetic. Unless I am missing something, it looks like upgrade time. Any suggestions??

C

chas_m

1. There are bluetooth headphones that are well-regarded for sound quality. They're obviously not cheap, but they exist.

2. Ride cymbals are exactly what drove me from MP3s into the loving (and warmer) arms of AAC. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even AAC, the ride cymbal just isn't right...

The bluetooth headphones may be well regarded for sound quality, but it's still trying to force a higher bandwidth codec through a lower bandwidth through put, which means it will reduce quality. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
By the way, while it's said that there's no such thing as a dumb question, your topic title isn't going to win any awards for intelligence. ;) It's much better (and a "Forum Rule") to give a clue as to the content of your post, such as "Question about Speakers", or something even more specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.