Gas Mask

Reaction score
HI Forum,

Its been a while that I read this forum and its a great one! recently having a brand new iMac, the biggest one there is, I learned a few things here and
there. thanks to you peoples, you are very helpful and knowledgeable, indeed!

Today, I have a few question regarding privacy-security issues if I may:

-Is Gas Mask a good third party soft for the issues mentioned above?

-is Little Snitch better?

-Or, does messing around with Terminal is best? ( I say messing around because, I guess that if you dont use it correctly, it will mess up your iMac, right?).

-When it comes to fix my iMac with, lets say, Gas Mask for instance, I am not too savvy, is there someone here on this forum that could gives me a quick step-by step (and maybe advices) on how to set-it up to secure my privacy AND how to customize it?

Thanks in advance. (and, pardon my French, I am French!) :D

H

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is the intended use for one of these firewalls? Are you aware that OS X has its own built-in firewall that can be configured to block outbound traffic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I havnt used Gas Mask so i cant compare it to Lil Snitch. But IMO i think LS is a great tool to use. As cwa107 has stated, though the OS you have has its own in system firewall, and it in itself does a good job too.
I run Lil Snitch and it works well for me, its easy to use and set up as well.

As for terminal, if you dont know what you are doing, you can do a lot of irreparable damage to your system, which if bad enough the only way to fix it is to do a complete reinstall of your OS. So if you dont know it STAY AWAY from it.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi cwa107,

First off, thanks a lot for your quick reply. cwa107, as for the intention of using an EXTRA firewall on my iMac, its because someone, and also, I heard, That even if iMac firewall is great, its not sufficient.... thats why! I know about the iMac Firewall, and I set-it up, well, the only way I have been told, which is, pretty straight and simple, but that's it, maybe it is too simple and maybe there is a more specified way to set-up iMac firewall to a maximum, but, i dont know yet....

Hi TattooedMac,

Little Snitch, eh? all right, sounds good to me. and, thanks for the advice about terminal! its true that I am not a crack at Terminal, its just that I have seen, here and there online, some ways to use it and what scripts to enter in it's different shells for different actions, etc... so, I was thinking that, it should be fairly safe to use terminal with the instructions, but, maybe not!

Well, I appreciate the answers and advices. if you have some more advices and even tips about security, privacy and firewall, they are greatly welcomed! :D

Thanks again!

H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
YW with the info. Yep terminal if you dont know what your doing is not safe lol
But for further reading sit back grab a coffee and have a good read through this. Even though it was written a few years ago it still pertains today :)

Official Antivirus and FireWall FAQ
Enjoy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am glad i could help :)

enjoy

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.