Processor upgrade?

U

u2shelley

Hi just wondering if it is possible to have my 12" upgraded to the new 1GHz G4 processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
u2shelley said:
Hi just wondering if it is possible to have my 12" upgraded to the new 1GHz G4 processor?
I dont think it is possible but i could be wrong. I am pretty sure that they are slightly different boards and I dont think they even have upgrade cpus for the powerbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I would have to say no. I have never seen a laptop that had an upgradable CPU , ever. But I am of course open to new technology :)

OP
H

hokiethang

domyates said:
would it be possible to update a PBG4 to a G5 if it ever came out ?

No, the G5 will require an entirely different architecture than is currently available in a G4. Also the cooling needed to run a G5 in a notebook will have to be very customized to the notebook, and the G4 notebooks have no space for these customizations. As for processor upgrades, the current powerbooks do not support them as the chips are attached to the board, not socketed like PC chips. Also G4 chips in the powerbook are specialized to the machine and layout and have different components on the motherboard.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
can i put a usb 2.0 card in this powerbook 12"?
DVI?
1 GHz Processor
then ill have an old new powerbook :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.