Is this bad?

Reaction score
Hiya, I just got an imac and try to make music on it. I noticed that if I tap ny feet the vibrations visibly shake the imac. I assume this is not good. I try to not tap my feet but its very difficult. Then I wondered if the floor is so bouncy (its a laminate floor floating on an underlay) could even walking in and out of the room be a problem, or sitting down on my chair? I understand that the imac is not wall mountable, so is there another solution and is it likely to be a big problem? Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
what do you have you imac sitting on top of...and how are are you tapping...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
How big is your foot to cause the iMac to get vibrations ??
Where is it sitting ... On a table ??
You might want to buy some sort of thinnish soft rubber to cushion the vibrations.

Having the Mac vibrate isnt such a big deal, as i do most of my surfing and writing with my MB on my lap and im forever moving and vibrating :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Its on a desk. I can see a slight vibration even just walking in the room, its because its a floating floor. I cant get the floor replaced very easily, will see if I can get some mat to put the mac on and try to not move!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What do you mean by a "floating floor"? You mention laminate on an underlay, neither of which is structural. What is the subfloor, and what is supporting it? (Such as, in a home, plywood or OSB on engineered floor joists at 12" on center or 2X joists, etc.; in a commercial building, could be a dozen different floor systems.) And, of course, it goes beyond that. In a house, the joists span between the foundation wall and a center beam, these days made of steel. In a commercial building, it's going to be the spacing between beams and their size that is the major controlling factor for vibrations.

Reaction score
Its on a desk. I can see a slight vibration even just walking in the room, its because its a floating floor. I cant get the floor replaced very easily, will see if I can get some mat to put the mac on and try to not move!

What I used in the past, was a piece of cork sheeting (from an old cork notice board) and cut that to size.

Worked for me :Cool:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As far as the iMac being wall-mountable, if you have a substantial shelf you can do an inelegant mount with a C-clamp and a small piece of plywood. Plywood to keep clamp from marring foot of iMac and clamp to underside of shelf. Just a thought. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
The shaking isn't worry-some as to it ruining your Mac, it's more being worried about it shaking so much that it falls over. See if you can get some straps to attach it to the wall or desk or table it is sitting on. I see them at hardware stores pretty regularly so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Something like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hiya, I just got an imac and try to make music on it. I noticed that if I tap ny feet the vibrations visibly shake the imac. I assume this is not good. I try to not tap my feet but its very difficult. Then I wondered if the floor is so bouncy (its a laminate floor floating on an underlay) could even walking in and out of the room be a problem, or sitting down on my chair? I understand that the imac is not wall mountable, so is there another solution and is it likely to be a big problem? Any thoughts?

Floating floor - do you mean a hardwood floor on top of something else?

At any rate, I think you're worrying too much. :D
I know Macs are precious, but a little shaking never hurt any computer. Even modern desktop hard drives have a mechanism to detect vibration and will SCRAM if it is too much.
My 17" late 2006 imac shakes a bit when I fart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.