Oy! iMac 4 hrs. old; can't get Thunderbird to run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/10: Purchased an iMac 21.5" 3.06 GZ, 500 MB, 4 GB
Oh, my 21.5" iMac is soooo purdy! Alright, you already know that. I DID get it hooked up to the internet once I had help from Netgear (in India, yet!!) in having to reset the password on my wireless Netgear router since my boys are unreachable. On my PC I have used Thunderbird through Eudora. I downloaded the new appropriate version on my iMac and dragged the icon to the dock without a problem. I'm unable to send or receive mail on the mac. But it's the settings I'm having a prob. with. I tried copying the settings from my PC (sitting right next to it at the moment) but the mac version doesn't seem to want to allow me to change the default outgoing mail server location. What it defaults to is not the EXACT wording that is on my PC version but I've tried a hundred ways and can't figure out how to change the default it keeps entering. I'm in San Diego. Is there "anyone" out there that would allow me to call you so you can take me through step-by-step on the account settings and figure out what I'm doing wrong? Is that a terrible thing to ask of someone? I'd be happy to provide you with my phone number if you prefer; it's not a problem. As I previously explained on another msg. here, I've used a PC for 30 yrs., my comp. was always set up by my boys who are away and not real helpful so I just learned to do what I needed to do and never the technical stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much ... arline

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
sorry..i'm finding a solution for you...this might helpHope this helps by the way which email provider are you using...

C

chas_m

Since you didn't specifically mention it, I'll just add that the way to install applications on the Mac (when an installer is not provided) is to drag them to the *Applications* folder, not the Dock. Once they are in the Applications folder, THEN you can drag them to the Dock (or just launch the program and choose "Keep in Dock" from the dock). You can then toss the mounted disk image and the DMG file.

If by chance you didn't do this, that would be the source of your problem.

PS. As a new Mac user, you really should be using Mail. Only if you find that Mail is inadequate for your needs (unlikely) should you be looking around for some other email client. Using Apple's default programs will teach you how to use the Mac, so I recommend that people use the default programs unless and until they need something those programs can't provide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.