Paying for "unlimited" internet twice from the same carrier: is that okay with you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So, I was going to order the iPad with 3G, but something a person on a blog really resonated with me. The guy, who was also an iPhone owner, said he would rather use "other means" to use his existing data plan on his iPad than pay for the same internet twice from the same provider. I realized that he was absolutely right. I don't think it's right that I have to pay for the same connectivity twice from the same provider. To me, it's like when people pay, or used to pay, extra for a ringtone of a song they already own.

So what does everyone else think? For or against an why? They could at least throw a little discount to current iPhone owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
So, I was going to order the iPad with 3G, but something a person on a blog really resonated with me. The guy, who was also an iPhone owner, said he would rather use "other means" to use his existing data plan on his iPad than pay for the same internet twice from the same provider. I realized that he was absolutely right. I don't think it's right that I have to pay for the same connectivity twice from the same provider. To me, it's like when people pay, or used to pay, extra for a ringtone of a song they already own.

So what does everyone else think? For or against an why? They could at least throw a little discount to current iPhone owners.

Well said, I gotta agree I don't have At&t. It's a lot like these Netbooks carriers are starting to sell.Example for me I pay $35 per month through Tmobile for unlimited Text and Data,Tmobile also has a 3G Dell Netbook coming out for $199 plus $59.99 5GB data plan per month, So now they want me to pay $95 per month for data for both devices,No discount,Nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The only upside I can think of for getting the 3G version is that there's no contract for the data package. So if I'm ever in a position where I absolutely need Internet on the iPad, I can activate it right then and there for $15 and cancel before the end of the month. So I think of it more like a Wi-Fi charge at hotels or on airplanes, except it's for a whole month instead of just 24 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The only upside I can think of for getting the 3G version is that there's no contract for the data package. So if I'm ever in a position where I absolutely need Internet on the iPad, I can activate it right then and there for $15 and cancel before the end of the month. So I think of it more like a Wi-Fi charge at hotels or on airplanes, except it's for a whole month instead of just 24 hours.

Good idea. I'm sure at some point someone will figure out a way so you can tether your iPad or do like some are suggesting and use one of those mifi devices.

Reaction score

I am not sure it would be that easy to subscribe and cancel the 3G. Any idea of how much it would cost for a month?

C

chas_m

If you own more than one smartphone, guess what -- you have to pay for two data packages!

I don't see how this is any different, sorry.

My solution to this is simple: I won't be using the 3G capabilities *except when I'm travelling.* $30 for a month of "unlimited" 3G while I'm down in the states? No contract or obligation or ongoing commitment? AWESOME!

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm all for no contract and the cheaper $15 option, but I just realized when I'm using the iPad it's because I'm not using my iPhone a lot of the time. So it just feels too much like I'm paying for the same thing twice.

It looks like a lot of internet providers are pushing for plans based on usage rather than the "unlimited" plans. And if that's the case, then they should definitely allow you to use whatever device you want as long as you're paying for what you use. But even these consumption plans will probably have some kind of minimum charge that I don't want to pay 2 or 3 times based on the number of internet devices I have.

Even now the so-called unlimited plans have a 5GB cap on them. So if I'm paying $30 for 5GB in reality, shouldn't be allowed to use that 5GB I'm paying for however I want?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I agree with not liking the idea of paying twice, and I can see down the road, as much as I love my iPhone, that I might eventually go to iPad 3g and just a standard cellphone--it would be cheaper since the 250MB ($15/mo) plan should suffice for my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure it would be that easy to subscribe and cancel the 3G. Any idea of how much it would cost for a month?

It really is that simple. Just flip a switch and start browsing. Once you hit the 250MB limit, you can purchase some more or upgrade to the unlimited plan.

250MB = $15
Unlimited = $30

Reaction score
It really is that simple. Just flip a switch and start browsing. Once you hit the 250MB limit, you can purchase some more or upgrade to the unlimited plan.

250MB = $15
Unlimited = $30

I honestly do not realize how much 250MB represents...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

I don't either, but on my iPhone I don't think I've ever gone over 30MB--that may change with the iPad.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure my iPad will be more, but I've never broken 100mb on my iPhone. People that listen to internet music on sites like Last.FM or Pandora probably use over 250 though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's plenty for simple browsing and downloading apps. You'll start to eat it up if you download a lot of music, movies or TV shows.

Reaction score
It's plenty for simple browsing and downloading apps. You'll start to eat it up if you download a lot of music, movies or TV shows.

I rarely download music on my iPhone (or never with the 3G), and I never tried movies lol.

So it would cost $15/month for 250MB? That is not that terrible! Come on guys you can buy a $500 gadget but can't afford $15 a month? I don't believe you ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And it's not even a contract, you choose how often you want to pay that $15 a month. That's what I really love about the data plan on the iPad.

Reaction score
I rarely download music on my iPhone (or never with the 3G), and I never tried movies lol.

So it would cost $15/month for 250MB? That is not that terrible! Come on guys you can buy a $500 gadget but can't afford $15 a month? I don't believe you ;D

Why would anyone download movies straight from their iPhone? Why not just hook it up to the computer > iTunes > iTunes Store > Download Movies...from there? Seems a lot faster and easier to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Stupid question but... will the iPad's SIM card be user replaceable ? If so, there's definitely possibilities there. Jailbreak/unlock iPhone. Get Another SIM and switch them out when you want to. I'm sure there are better ideas, that's just a general thought.

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it is user replaceable. However, it is a micro SIM and not a regular size SIM, so you can't simply pop your iPhone's SIM card into your iPad.

It seems as though Apple anticipated that people might do this and thus decided to use a different SIM card size.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There have been rumors that some clipping of a regular SIM will make it work in the iPad, and possibly a plastic holder could make it usable in a regular SIM slot.

I would imagine this is possible because I can't believe they would completely rediegn the SIM card technology just to fend off hackers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Personally I agree with your statements. I feel it's not right too. If they are going to make us pay for the iphone 3g and the ipad 3g and it's the same provider they should give us some sort of discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.