Office for Mac for I Works

Reaction score
What's the differents? I get a discount on Office for mac throught my job so the price won't be an issue for me but I need to know what would be the difference between them. I don't need anything fancy right now. My dd might need it in the future when she starts school but who knows right now I just needs to work on my resume. I keep hearing people mention pages which I know is part of i works.

Reaction score
Personal preference to be honest. IWorks is a great suite but I have to use Office for school so I have both. That being said, once school is done I won't be using Office any longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's iWork, by the way, and Pages.

Word (last update for Leopard) runs ok for me, but we've had trouble with files sent to us in Word '97 for Windows. I suspect the translation problems are slightly less smooth between Pages and Word. So, if you expect to be trading files with others who use Word for Windows, I think Word for Mac is the way to go.

C

chas_m

Pages specifically is probably (if I'm being honest) not as good a word processor as MS Word. On the other hand, 99% of Word users don't really need all the features of Word, and Pages' templates (and even just their blank pages, thanks to the advanced typography of the Mac) are beautiful.

Where Pages trounces Word is in doing desktop layout. Pages is a lot closer to Pagemaker in this regard and Word just can't touch em.

Keynote is hands-down far superior to PowerPoint and that's the end of that tune. No contest.

Numbers is a rather radical re-think of what a spreadsheet should be. Excel users will find it utterly bewildering, non-Excelheads will find it as delightful and fun as a spreadsheet could possibly be, since its really more of a desktop layout tool that does spreadsheets, tables and graphs really well. It's quite limited in its "power" compared to Excel however.

So Office definitely has some advantages in some areas, and iWork has some advantages in other areas (mostly in making documents beautiful). Since you get a discount, price isn't an issue, so I'm going to say you should take the test drive of both and see which one suits you. You're really not going to go wrong either way.

Reaction score
It's iWork, by the way, and Pages.

OCD much? Who cares..... The point of the post was made and understood.

If you are going to be that picky then you need to change your username as MAC (as you pointed out in another thread) is Media Access Control. :Cool:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use MS Office extensively at work. At home I use iWork (Pages mainly) and Open Office. My recommendation would be to use Open Office (it's free) and highly compatible with MS Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stick with Office it is the pick of them all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Stick with Office it is the pick of them all.

I agree. MS Office is still the industry and educational standard - and IMO, it just works better....

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4
I'm still trying as well...I tried NeoOffice, and it was okay, but quirky. I am really enjoying iWork. Pages is good, Keynote absolutely rocks, as mentioned above. Numbers isn't the beast that Excel is, both good and bad. I really don't want to use Office if I can avoid it. (Plus, I have that at work on my PC.)

I've got about 10 more days on my iWork trial, then, if nothing changes, I will probably ante up the money for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I am an accounting student and I have to use Microsoft Office. There are certain formatting problems with NeoOffice and iWorks that I cant get around.

That and the university gave me a free copy.

If you use Office 2008 - make sure you keep it updated. The first two iterations were utter junk and unstable. I lost an entire day's work thanks to a crash during a save in Excel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OCD much? Who cares..... The point of the post was made and understood.

If you are going to be that picky then you need to change your username as MAC (as you pointed out in another thread) is Media Access Control. :Cool:

Think for a minute. As far as the user name goes, I had these candidates for that one: tomacsh, TOmacSH and toMACsh since my preference, tomacsh wasn't an option. I made the choice based on aesthetics.

I make no such claim in other threads. Others do, and I sometimes provide a link to over 100 uses for the MAC acronym. How much RAM do you have? ;)

If you don't care about the spelling and capitalization, that's fine in this forum. There are times when it could become more important however. I hope you don't always respond to correction that way, as it will not serve you well. I was actually writing that for the benefit of the OP anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Big fan of iWork myself .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I have a copy of iWork - through the university. Maybe I'll install it and see what accounting options it has.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.