Snagit for Mac Beta

Reaction score
Has anyone used TechSmith's "Snagit for Mac Beta"?

I used for years on a PC and loved it because it would grab a .JPG of any screen ......but as a new (two-week) MacMan(?) I do not want to download anything that would spoil the reverie of using this fantastic machine (why did I wait so long?).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not familiar with the product but OS X already has quite a few ways to capture parts of your screen, the screen as a whole and particular windows. While you aren't given options to choose format out of the box (this can be changed with some manual editing), you can nonetheless take screenshots of various things quite easily.

Shift-Command-3 - Whole screen (both screens if you're using two monitors)
Shift-Command-4 - Part of the screen
Shift-Command-4 + spacebar (push after pushing S-C-4) - Window

What are you looking to take a screenshot of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
We have Snagit on our PCs at work. There are a few fans of it that I know but I've never really found it that useful. I may check out the Mac version though, thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the product but OS X already has quite a few ways to capture parts of your screen, the screen as a whole and particular windows. While you aren't given options to choose format out of the box (this can be changed with some manual editing), you can nonetheless take screenshots of various things quite easily.

Shift-Command-3 - Whole screen (both screens if you're using two monitors)
Shift-Command-4 - Part of the screen
Shift-Command-4 + spacebar (push after pushing S-C-4) - Window

What are you looking to take a screenshot of?

Many Thanks to my Northern Neighbor.....now who needs SnagIt for $39.95. This iMAC just continues to amaze me..."with a little help from my friends!"

Many Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
just look in your utilities for Grab, comes with the Mac

Reaction score
Here are a few more ways for a screen captures and a way to change the Save location and image format from PNG to something else.

Screen Capture:
* Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

In Leopard, the following keys can be held down while selecting an area (via Command-Shift-4 or Command-Control-Shift-4):

* Space, to lock the size of the selected region and instead move it when the mouse moves
* Shift, to resize only one edge of the selected region
* Option, to resize the selected region with its center as the anchor point

Or you can use Preview's Screen Capture under the File menu to capture From Selection, From Window or From Entire Screen. Then you can give the screen capture a name, Select the file type and save to the Location of your choice.

ThinkerTool will allow you to change the screenshot image format from PNG to jpg or other formats and save to other locations beside the Desktop.

TinkerTool: Description

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm big on SnagIt in Windows. But on the Mac, I discovered TechSmith's Jing, and it does everything I've ever needed SnagIt for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.