Problem Installing Windows on a partition

Reaction score
OK i'm having a lot of trouble installing windows on this partition I created through bootcamp.

Here's what I did:

Opened bootcamp and created a partition for windows
Put in the install disk (windows XP +SP2)
clicked start installation
***Current Problem***
The computer restarts and it loads up to just a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner....What is this all about?

However...It has went to the blue screen before, and when it did, i did this:

1. Partitioned a piece 17gb off for windows
2. Put in installation disk
3. Clicked start the installer
4. The computer restarts and goes to a blue screen that starts installing windows
5. after it completes, the computer restarts and a black screen comes up
"click any button to boot from disk" I click any key
6. Boots from CD, still blue screen goes and installs...again i guess
7. THen it comes to the top blue screen on page 8 of the bootcamp installation gudie
8. I pick partition <Bootcamp> [FAT32]
9. However...Now it doesn't go to the 2nd blue screen on page 8...I cant pick the format
10. Instead it goes to a blue screen that says windows is already installed in X folder and click L to replace it...I clicked L and it reinstalls and restarts and goes back to step 7

- I manually restart and boot from the windows partition....Disk Error....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need to stick to the original thread. The moderators will probably combine this....

Just as an afterthought though: What kind of XP SP2 disk are you trying to install with? The symptoms you just described above are usually indicative of an incompatible version. Describe the version.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Core i7, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB of space, if problem is resolved - Windows XP Home Edition ^^
I have the exact same problem!
I have the 27" iMac, i7, 4 gig of DDR3 RAM, 1tb etc.
But I'm trying to install XP Home Edition (legit), and have designated 103gb (cant get the dam scroller onto 100) in my partion.

Really irritates me, seeing as I only want to play two or three games on it occasionally (when I have time off my homework!) and maybe use Messenger's Webcam feature that doesn't work on macs.

Let's hope we can get a solution to all this sometime soon! ^_^

- James.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah sorry I kinda just thought certain people only checked out certain categories and this one was more specific for my problem...anyway

I have a burned windows XP +sp2 disk, it's not the original from the box or anything, my friend burned it for me awhile ago...i've used to to reinstall windows on my desktop a number of times so i know it's legit and it works, not sure of the exact versions or anything though

Reaction score
It may be a manufacturer's OEM version of XPSP2, from the disk that came with his computer. Those don't work - even if they will install on a windows machine, for example. BootCamp is very specific about what it needs - an original, full retail installation or an "OEM System Builder's" disk.

I would go back to bootcamp, restore your hard disc to a single OSX partition, purchase a disk that meets the BC specifications, and start over.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday. As for the disk you're trying to use, not only is it an illegal copy, but it's probably like Sammy told you.

You need to purchase a legal copy - full install XP Home or Pro SP2 or 3.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Core i7, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB of space, if problem is resolved - Windows XP Home Edition ^^
but... i HAVE a legit copy of windows, I don't see why it won't work for me!
:Grimmace:

Reaction score
First of all, the copy is probably NOT legitimate. What your friend did was make you a copy that in all likelihood violates the license agreement (you haven't told us all the details despite us asking for them). You also have not indicated whether this was from an OEM disk that he had, or an OEM disk that came from another computer, or from a volume-licensed disk (e.g., one provided by a school or a business), or an illegally-downloaded copy. THOSE WILL NOT WORK (well, some volume-licensed ones work and some don't, but most do not).

Why? Because Boot Camp is set up for them NOT TO WORK. OEM and volume-licensed copies won't typically install under Boot Camp (even if they might install on another PC) because they often have hardware and BIOS requirements that won't properly interface with the EFI boot system of the Mac, among other reasons. If you read the Boot Camp requirements they are very specific about what works and what doesn't work - this is all very important to avoid licensing disputes with Microsoft and to permit Windows to continue to be available on Apple computers. So don't say "gee, why doesn't it work?" It doesn't and it won't because that's the way it's set up.

You will need either (1) a new, out of the box, full retail version of XP SP2 or higher, or (2) a "System Builder's OEM" version of XP SP2 or higher. Period, end of story. If you buy one of those, and they can be had at reasonable prices from places like newegg.com, you'll be set.

You should also read the stickies at the top of this forum - plus the Boot Camp installation guide, which goes through this in detail.

I don't mean to come down on you but this is just the way it is. And once you get it working you'll be glad about it. :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.