Is it possible to use a 3G wireless card with the iPad?

Reaction score
I was wondering, if I were to buy the wifi version could I just buy the USB extension and then plug in my wireless card and it'll work?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Most likely no..the USB connector is likely custom like the other devices and will only be used to connect to a PC as a device so it can charge/transfer stuff..

Regards

Reaction score
Most likely no..the USB connector is likely custom like the other devices and will only be used to connect to a PC as a device so it can charge/transfer stuff..

Regards

Dumb question here: Won't it just be a matter of time where some vendor makes a "custom" to USB connector so you can connect to some other device? What in the iPad would prevent this?

Of course, I don't see a need to connect to some WiFi device if the iPad already has WiFi. However, something you can connect your flash memory card for backup would be useful.

Just curious...

jom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I was wondering, if I were to buy the wifi version could I just buy the USB extension and then plug in my wireless card and it'll work?

No, but if you were stupid enough to pay for a Verizon MiFi 3g pocket sized router at the ridiculous rate of 60 bucks a month for 5GB of data, then you could connect to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Even if it could, seems like it would make more sense to get the built-in 3G. That way you get the GPS as well, and as pointed out above, it is likely cheaper in the long run.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Dumb question here: Won't it just be a matter of time where some vendor makes a "custom" to USB connector so you can connect to some other device? What in the iPad would prevent this?

Of course, I don't see a need to connect to some WiFi device if the iPad already has WiFi. However, something you can connect your flash memory card for backup would be useful.

Just curious...

jom
If the only thing preventing you from connection random devices to the iPad or any other device was a connector, that would be simple enough..but the connector is only one part of it..the software running on the device has to support the thing being plugged in..and I'm pretty sure the iPad doesn't have the software or rather has the software locks to prevent random devices from being being usable..

Regards

Reaction score
It's called a business and business need. The Verizon product as I see it is focused towards business and for a business to provide the functionality 60/month is part of the cost of doing business. By the Way - as a business you are not limited to 5G - its Unlimited and if you are a large business the cost per month is actually close to 1/2 of what you listed.

I plan to use my Unlimited MiFi with the Ipad - I anticipate it will be the perfect companion since no software is needed on the client which is another problem with USB key devices.

No, but if you were stupid enough to pay for a Verizon MiFi 3g pocket sized router at the ridiculous rate of 60 bucks a month for 5GB of data, then you could connect to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
An almost identical product from Clearwire can be used with the iPad too.

Here's an excerpt from a story on no contract iPhones:

The mobile hotspot, called the Clear Spot, costs $139.99 to buy, or $4.99 a month to lease, and there is a monthly charge of about $40, said Mike DiGioia, a spokesman for Clearwire.

"It costs a bit more than the 3G service, but the 4G service offers faster speeds — 3 to 6 megabits-per-second downloads, with bursts over 10 megabits per second — and is flexible in that it can be used with many devices," and not just the iPad, he said.

Service plans "don't have usage caps and contracts aren't required, though there are often discounts for people who sign a service agreement," he said.

Link to the story (bad link removed)

Also Sprint has this device from Sierra Wireless:

The "Overdrive" 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot, made by Sierra Wireless and resembling a small router, can connect up to five Wi-Fi devices at the same time, including laptops, gaming devices and even smartphones from other carriers. "Make your iPhone 4G," Sprint brags on its Web site.

The Overdrive costs $100, after a rebate and with a two-year contract. The monthly plan is $59.99 for unlimited 4G usage, Sprint says, and a 5-gigabyte cap for 3G usage.

Taken from this news story on 4G networks/phones. LINK (bad link removed)

Reaction score
namination cushy

MiFi was zero dollars with a 2 year contract - not too bad considering its way more functionality than the usb stick it replaced.

By the time most folks are able to use 4G (or should I say realize the true performance) we will be on our Gen 2+ Ipad's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.