Missing 6 GB on windows XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I am working on my parents old computer running XP. The hard drive is only 19 GB (yes its really old), with 16 GB in use. I only seem to have about 10 GB that I can find though. The windows directory takes up about 5.5 GB.

Any ideas on finding the 6 GB?

All I really want to do is be able to defragment their drive right now. Disk defragment says it needs more free space to run. Its very fragmented, which I don't think it should be. I am the only to add programs to the machine.

I just need to get a few more months out of this computer before I switch them over.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much is stored in the temp folder? How much is stored in the temporary internet cache and folders? History? How large is the pagefile? How much space is allocated to System Restore? Is Hibernation turned on?

You be surprised how many machines I've worked on where folks had not cleaned out the temp folders, history, caches, for years. Clean all that stuff out, turn off System Restore, kill hibernation, and count again.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
How much is stored in the temp folder? How much is stored in the temporary internet cache and folders? History? How large is the pagefile? How much space is allocated to System Restore? Is Hibernation turned on?

Thanks it was System Restore. I had forgotten about that and somehow it got moved to the max position.

How does hibernation effect the disk space? I have it turned off since they never leave their computer on, but I was unaware of this. I have Firefox clean out all data everytime they close it to save me a headache.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.