your site is insecure

J

jack_zack

When I tried to register by giving you my secondary email:

(...)@hotmail.com

which is the email I use for forums and when I register with sites. You rejected my registration request and the justification was:

give us a non-free email !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well I am sorry mac-forums I won't give my university nor work nor personal emails. I don't submit these emails to sites at all (It's a personal policy to prevent spam)

I assume all smart and wise users won't submit their personal emails to sites.

that's why I used my (...)@hotmail.com

it seems that u don't want users to register with free emails becuase u want to obtain a user's identity when necessary via his/her paid email.

guess what ur site is insecure.in other words i fooled you!

i went to .mac and i choose free trial and i came up with [email protected] and i was able to submit my registration request with it.
So users may use the same method and mess in the forums without u being able to trace the user's ID, because he used a .mac temporary email and he inputed false info when he applied for that .mac account.

i will update my profile using (...)@hotmail.com the info associated with that account is accurate and corresponds to me.

for god's sake allow user's to register with free email accounts why the security is this forum related to pentagon or fbi or cia?! :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
it is not about gaining one's identity, it is about the huge amout of spam sent from those free email accounts. thanks for pointing out that you gave false information on your account though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i created a junk mail accout on my isp that i still check every now and then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
First you need to calm down. We never have nor will we ever sell or share your information. Secondly, the reason we don't allow free e-mail addresses is that they tend to be used by spammers or trolls. As you can probably tell if you spent any time here that we have a very low spam rate compared to the average forum and that's why.

For prospective members who only have a free e-mail address, we have manually created accounts for them so they can still register. It doesn't stop anyone from becoming a member if they'd like.

So I'm sorry if you found it to be an inconvenience, but we have very legitimate reasons for setting it up that way.

OP
J

jack_zack

i don't have an email account from an ISP i use t1 for internet. I wish I had.

I have aquestion though,u said those email send spam???

can u clarify,i wanna know more i am not sure i understood u

OP
J

jack_zack

schweb said:
First you need to calm down. We never have nor will we ever sell or share your information. Secondly, the reason we don't allow free e-mail addresses is that they tend to be used by spammers or trolls. As you can probably tell if you spent any time here that we have a very low spam rate compared to the average forum and that's why.

For prospective members who only have a free e-mail address, we have manually created accounts for them so they can still register. It doesn't stop anyone from becoming a member if they'd like.

So I'm sorry if you found it to be an inconvenience, but we have very legitimate reasons for setting it up that way.

sorry i posted before reading this.
this makes sense now thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
jack_zack said:
So users may use the same method and mess in the forums without u being able to trace the user's ID, because he used a .mac temporary email and he inputed false info when he applied for that .mac account.

It doesn't matter what e-mail address you use for those reasons. You could have a million different legitimate e-mail addresses but your IP address is still the same so you can't just hide by using a different e-mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
jack_zack said:
i don't have an email account from an ISP i use t1 for internet. I wish I had.

I have aquestion though,u said those email send spam???

can u clarify,i wanna know more i am not sure i understood u
How can an ISP running T1 not supply you an e-mail address? I ask, cause, well T1 bandwidth! Wow

OP
T

Tel

jack_zack said:
i tried to update my profile using my [email protected] account that email was rejected.

I will update it using my personal email.

Hmm, not only does this thread seem pretty useless but if you're that worried about getting spam how about STOP POSTING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ON FORUMS :eek:

OP
J

jack_zack

first of all i live in an aparment complex.They have a server and I connect to it using an ethernet. They did not mention anything about providing the users with email addresses and they don't.

Second of all spammers won't search for emails in posts. They will search emails by ripping them from users profile. Or by you by selling the emails of ur users (however an administrator confirmed that this is a safe forums and I trust him).

Third of all you can't link my IP address to my identity. I don't pay a company for internet service and provide them with personal info. I live in an apartment complex with numerious residents and we all plug in the ehternet cable into our network cards.

fourth and finally you said that spammers may attack ur forums using emails they generate. Don't you ask the user who wish to register to enter the numbers or characters he views in an image. This method is used to fight spammers and trolls. Isn't that enough?

OP
J

jack_zack

Tel said:
Hmm, not only does this thread seem pretty useless but if you're that worried about getting spam how about STOP POSTING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ON FORUMS :eek:

the email [email protected] is the email i give to sites. I have no probs recieving spam on this email and i do recieve spam.

what i ment was my other primary emails.

i gave the site my .mac personal email becuz i trust them.

if this post is useless why did u reply. According to my knowledge ppl reply in useful posts.

i am flattered though becuz u reply in my useless posts I wonder what u will do if i posted a useful post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
oookkkk, can you say paranoid? if you have ever been a member of a forum, you would know that email and personal info is used only in activating your account and sending you an email when you subscribe to a thread and someone replies, no forum should ever sell any info on any of its members, there isn't even a reason to do so. and yes, the registration process uses the security measure of the registering member entering characters they see on the screen, you'd have noticed that if you weren't so distracted by 'getting around' having to give a non-free email.
and this thread is not so useless, it shows how ignorant some users can be (no offense), and as far as what we'd do if you made a useful thread, or needed help, we'd still post if we could to try to help, thats the point of the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
jack_zack said:
Third of all you can't link my IP address to my identity. I don't pay a company for internet service and provide them with personal info. I live in an apartment complex with numerious residents and we all plug in the ehternet cable into our network cards.

If you honestly believe that then you don't know much about the internet :biohazard:

There really is no such thing for the most part as a completely anonymous internet. I guarantee you that the IP address can be traced to your apartment complex and to your specific apartment in some way, shape, or form. There is always a way to find someone if you really want to, it may just not be easy, but it can be done.

For example just taking 5 seconds and using a free tool on the Internet I can find out who your internet provider is and a pretty detailed geographic location of where you are. So as I said, don't think you're completely anonymous ;)

OP
K

Kokopelli

Ignoring jack-zack's arguments as they really are not valid, you can hide your address short of techniques and resources not available without a warrant. Possibly not even then. It is fairily obvious that Mr. zack is not using one but you could use a bounce or, better yet, tor.

None of the discussions above or my own comments have any bearing on whether the site is secure though. Mac-forums does not want you to use a free email and you bypassed the restriction. So what? If you have a T1, set up your own mail server and a couple accounts for spam. That's what I did (though mac-forums uses my gmail account I think, most forums go there).

You should not post an email on a public forum in general though. It has fallen out of vogue but a spider can be used to make a list of addresses from a site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
The boys are right, not that I too want to dampen your spirits but your post was a bit... pointless. Once you are plugged to the net, you are not anonymous anymore, your net connection (and I don't mean the one of your BUILDING, I mean the one right down to your own computer) can be traced as per need if people really wanted to know who you are and where you are. I worked in IT for some years and it is indeed true that there is this misconception that the net makes you anonymous; yeah but...not really.

On another note, you can have Hotmail and Yahoo emails completely un-spammed. I have them and they are both in use and clean. Furthermore, I pay for my Hotmail email so it's not like they all come free. Having said that, I registered on here with GMail because it's my favourite email (I am sure you all wanted to know this important piece of info...).

Reaction score
Can't we regulars all just agree that little jack jack there has no super powers and is probably not the most....enlightened of us?

Now, move along, nothing to see here, move along. You...sir, you're holding up the line..would you please focus your attention on this little red light here for jsut one second please....((((flash)))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.