• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cover up Apple logos on "Modern Family"

Reaction score
I know, I am supposed to have a link to verify my story, so here it is: Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.. Do a search for Modern Family.

Anyways, I was watching the new show, "Modern Family", with Ed O'Neill (aka Al Bundy from Married...with Children) and I noticed that they had three different Macs in the show - a Macbook Pro, an iMac, and a Macbook. The funny thing was that all three of the respective Apple logos were covered up with a sicker of some sort. I was wondering why this is? No permission from Apple perhaps? It seems like free advertising to me but maybe Apple doesn't want it's logo associated with a show where two gay guys are raising a kid? I don't think that is the case for I can imagine that Apple has quite a few gay customers. The funny thing is that it was painfully obvious that it was an iMac. It's kinda hard to confuse that with another computer. The Macbook and Macbook Pro took a sharp eye to recognize, but it was a no brainer for me.

Anybody in the TV/Film industry able to shed some light on this subject?

On a side note: I just received my refurbished 21.5" iMac in the mail yesterday and I am like a kid on Xmas. :Cool: Upgrading from a 20" 2.0 ghz iMac - this new screen is so bright and colorful and it is quick as a bunny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its the same with any show you have to pay to play no free advertising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You see this a lot. It happens in Brothers and Sisters, 24 and other shows.
As far as I know it's because there is only allowed to be a certain amount of product placement in any one place at a time, and rest assured Apple and others have to pay to have the stuff there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
For years Apple products have always been in TV and Movies without the logos covered up, Are these instances where Apple has paid for the product placement?

most recently there is a netflix commercial where the guy in the commercial is using an iBook G4 which you can clearly see where it says "iBook G4".

Here is a blog with a catalog of every Mac ever seen in a movie or TV show....

http://macsinmovies.blogspot.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I've seen them in several tv shows, such as Ghost Whisperer, and they always have a sticker over the apple logo, which kinda looks like a presidential seal.

Reaction score
I'm also interested in the economical/business implications of covering up their logo? I have seen it many times but haven't given it a second though.

Is it:

- They approached Apple asking for money and Apple said no (or didn't agree on the amount)
- Or, they didn't even approach Apple because they didn't want advertisement/branding in their show?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I've noticed that almost every MF episode features a Mac with a logo covered up.

I've also noticed that the local Miami area Fox affiliate always has MBPs on the desk in front of their news anchors. And they have covered the logos on their machines as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Koothrappali's MBP in The Big Bang Theory has the  logo only covered a little bit. Not enough not the recognise that it is a  product.

What are they trying to show, that nerds use them lmao :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I will go you another when they use an iPhone the Apple is always covered and there are
a lot of iPhones in Tv episodes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7 | 1TB Hard Drive | 8GB Ram
I've seen a few shows, especially movies that show the logo. House is one show that comes to mind where the apple logo is shown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed I've seen Hugh and others use macbook pros and the Apple logos are clearly visible.

OP
F
Reaction score
It's kinda silly to cover the logo on an iMac or an iPhone. They are so easily recognizable even without the logo. It would be like covering the emblem on a VW Bug. "I can't see the logo on that car, it must be a Porshe."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you watch 24 closely, they even use bland looking PC type cases but are clearly running Mac OS. Not just in 24 actually, but many many US TV shows.
I also remember in Final Destination II, the whole sequence in the flat at the beginning is like an Apple ad, so from then on you don't see another labelled Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 320 GB HD, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, + Magic Mouse
I think it has something to do with royalties. Companies like the way Macs look, but don't want to have to pay to use them, so by covering up the logo, it effectively makes it a sleek, sexy white/aluminum computer with a sticker in the center.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
most recently there is a netflix commercial where the guy in the commercial is using an iBook G4 which you can clearly see where it says "iBook G4".

Macs in movies

The funny thing about that NetFlix thing is at the time the commercial first came out, Netfilx did not even run on OSX! That part bothered me and a few others! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Did anyone ever see the latenight infomercial for the Virus removal program, but the computer one of the people in the commercial held looked exactly like an old ibook???

~~~Iron Chef has Apple displays with covered logos, and you see them in just about every episode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (late 2009) with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2
My sister was watching this show on Nick and they had the old iMac's but they had a pear on the back and they also had a pearpod.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Look at soda cans, household items, cereal boxes - some are modified, some are not. It's just whether or not the producer wants to show the brands. Yes, in some cases, it is deliberate product placement. In some cases it's just apathy, and in others they are very careful to not display brands.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got into the Netflix thing and did not even check the forum it was in. Me bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.