Opinion on what to do with midi keyboard situation

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I purchased a m audio axiom 61 midi keyboard to use with logic 9 on my mbp that is currently running snow leopard. I connect the keyboard through a usb cable and when doing so, the keyboard turns on but no noise comes out when I press the keys. When I hook up to the keyboard to any computer running leopard it works fine, the problem is only when I hook it up to computers running snow leopard.

The keyboard is class compliant so there are no drivers, updates, or software that will make it work. After searching all over the internet these past few weeks for a solutions and having a horrible response in terms of customer service from m audio I have basically lost hope in terms of having this keyboard work with my computer.

I am asking what you guys think the best solution is for this problem. I'm debating either having to purchase a leopard install disc just to downgrade so it will run with my computer or selling the keyboard and just purchasing another one from a different company that will work with my computer by default. Both of these solutions would be a nuisance and I'm not looking forward to going through the steps for either.

What do you guys think I should do, and if you have any ideas on what to do please let me know.

Thank you.
-Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
I'm running 10.6.2 and have the same thing happening as you where the keyboard doesn't show up as being connected to the MBP. It does work, however, and shows up in the midi connections of Cubase 5.

It took me a little while to figure it all out, but you essentially need to go into your device setup screen (Cubase lingo - Logic should have a similar function) and most likely add the Axiom as a midi device. Set the program to recognize all midi channels (unless you are a midi guru and are assigning multiple midi devices needing their own channels). You then just need to make sure it is routed properly and you should start hearing sounds once you assign an instrument to it. Remember that as solely a midi controller the Axiom does not have any sounds on its own. You have to give it an "instrument" to play.

That is what my experience was with the Axiom 49 and what worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
Just so you can help us help you, what do you do when you're setting up a project in Logic? Do you have a template that you start with, or do you start a project from scratch?

Also, try using the keyboard in Garageband on your MBP. That will narrow it down to a problem in Logic and not the OS. Just remember to record enable the track.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
SFLogic Ninja on YouTube mentioned that the Axiom didn't work with SL... this was about 5 months ago, so I would be surprised if it were still the case, but you never know.

I have a Korg Radias, and that also will not work with SL, despite Korg's website insisting it will. I use an Edirol USB to Midi converter and it's drivers to get around this, but it's somewhat inelegant.

You could try installing Leopard drivers, I know some people have had success with this, or download a demo of any softsynth, like the Jupiter 8 from Arturia and see if this works standalone.

Remember the global midi configuration is in the Utilities folder and should automatically apply to Logic or anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.