Boot Camp probs

Reaction score
On to buisness! I have a friend who's been playing NWN, a windows game on their Mac by using Boot Camp. Now I personally don't know anything about Macs or Boot Camp, and doing online research to try and help didn't really get anywhere as I'm a noob when put on a Mac.

So I'm asking if there is anyone out there who utalizes Boot Camp?

The dilemma sounds to be that after the computer is first turned on, there is 2 sets of selection screens for if to boot up with Mac or Windows. The first screen "Windows" is selected, and then there is a 2nd screen that asked for Mac or Windows again; mac the default.

On this second screen, it's all DOS like form (Black background, no mouse, scroll to select with arrow keys, ect).

This second screen runs a 10second timer before running the selected option. It's defaulting to Mac. Arrow keys have STOPPED working to move down and select the Windows. This is new and without logic as to why.

If anyone out there used Boot Camp and would have ideas, suggestions, and real input, please advise.

Thank-you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your friend is using a boot manager. Ask if he's using rEFIt and then post back. Normally, if a Boot Camp partition is active and Windows has been installed, there is only one screen that will show when the machine is booted. And that depends if he holds down the OPTION key after the POST chime sounds.

The two sets of screens with a countdown timer for boot sounds very much like he has installed a boot manager program. Which is the reason I asked above if he's using rEFIt.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Im not sure, will find out soon. Also, I'd like to add that bootcamp had be working perfectly fine with no problems for quite some time. Nothing new has been done to it. Only now, on that second screen, the Dos one, you cant move down to select anything other than the mac os.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also ask your friend if he tried or perhaps installed Ubuntu Linux virtually within Windows. The DOS like countdown screen could be a GRUB bootloader screen or even the Windows XP boot loader screen. Be interesting to learn exactly what he's done.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes there is ubuntu. I had her look in the disk prefs thingie... And it does not even show windows anymore

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's what I suspected. Installing Ubuntu caused GRUB (Linux boot loader) to overwrite the Windows boot sector. That's why she's seeing the GRUB countdown screen. As long as she can boot to OS X she can use her install DVD to boot the machine and get rid of Linux along with the Windows partition.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.