• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD Graphics card for a G5?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a quality graphics card for my G5. Its a 2,5Ghz Dual Core, running on OS X Leopard.
The graphics card I have at the moment is ATI Radeon 9600 XT. In my opinion this card seems to be a bit average which is well noticable when watching HD material.
Are there any HD graphics cards for the G5? I have searched the web but without succes of finding one which is the reason I am asking here. I would also, eventualy, like to use it for video editing :)
I'm really hoping there's some universal HD graphics card out there that I havent discovered yet.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If you're just watching HD material, I don't think the video card will help too much - OSX Leopard if I'm not mistaken doesn't take advantage of the video cards capabilities for simple playback (H.264 using hardware acceleration wasn't introduced for playback until snow leopard w/ Quicktime X)

Here's a quote from Apples page about Quicktime X which is what's included with Snow Leopard:

Built for smooth playback.

QuickTime X is optimized for the latest modern media formats — such as H.264 and AAC — through a new media architecture that delivers stutter-free playback of high-definition content on nearly all Snow Leopard-based Mac systems. QuickTime X maximizes the efficiency of modern media playback by using the graphics processor to scale and display video. QuickTime X further increases efficiency by supporting GPU-accelerated video decoding of H.264 files.

The video cards GPU is really only used AFAIK for the pro apps for their rendering of certain effects (ie: Final Cut Studio features such as Color)

I could be very wrong here - but that is how I currently understand it - if I'm wrong, I hope someone will post and show the appropriate references so I can better understand Leopards features I didn't think it had...

For other GPU options - you can take a look here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...dc-ports-dvi-ports-resolutions-supported.html

You'll have to figure out what type of slots you have in your system to help narrow down what's compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a dual core it requires a PCIE graphics card aqnd not an ATI Radeon 9600 AGP card. Sounds like your machine actually is a Dual Processor. Dual core have DDR2 memory as well as the PCIE slots.

OP
F
Reaction score
You're right, I'm no expert at these things.

Thanks for the reply! At least now I know it isn't the graphics card. Shame Snow Leopard is only for the Intel Macs, unless I'm mistaken..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No you are not mistaken. A faster card would be the ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro, 256MB SDRAM. As a suggestion do not get a flashed PC card which one sees advertised on eBay etc regularly. Of course the faster cards have fan units and sometimes these do fail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.