• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Valve/Steam Coming to the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Steam...gaming coming to Mac!

So, as a recent convert to a Mac from a Dell/Windows setup the only reason I was using that laptop was to play me Steam games. Now this basically eliminates that need(most of the games I were playing were all Valve games anyway). Point being though, this is, good news! Nice to happen as I got the new late 09 Mac Unibody a few weeks back. I'm sure it can handle to gaming load, I have 4gb of ram and such....

Anyway, is anyone esle here a gamer, or on the steam platform? Anyone else excited for Portal and Left 4 Dead on your Macs?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Steam and Valve's library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.

This looks very nice. Now I just have to read up on exactly how steam works. As I've never used it before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz
This will be awesome. Have they said a date that this is supposed to happen? Hopefully soon.

OP
Mattlike
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
This will be awesome. Have they said a date that this is supposed to happen? Hopefully soon.

Sometime in April is all I know.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged Duplicate Threads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Pardon my ignorance but... will this not be a major game changer (pun wasn't intended but I guess it leaves no choice but to be so now) for both MS and Apple ? There's not much stopping Apple from gaining more of the gamer market now, given the hardware they're working with right ?

The only thing Apple would be missing in this equation is giving their users total customability. If they decide to do this however, and more hardware becomes available... I think they can really steal a big percentage of the competitions market share.

Or.. I'm just dumb and have absolutely no idea of what I'm saying.

Personally, I'm opting for the latter. I just can't take myself seriously. ;D

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like gaming is coming in a pretty big way to the Mac platform with this announcement.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Pardon my ignorance but... will this not be a major game changer (pun wasn't intended but I guess it leaves no choice but to be so now) for both MS and Apple ? There's not much stopping Apple from gaining more of the gamer market now, given the hardware they're working with right ?
While this is definitely a step in the right direction for gaming on the Mac, the Mac will still have only a fraction of the games available to it that Windows does. Now, the part that is just as exciting is the port of Source to the Mac (game engine) which could potentially lead the way to many more Mac games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm so PUMPED for this! Can't wait!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd love for this to happen. But, I really hope they let me migrate my licenses over. I currently have 135 steam titles in my games list (ranging from Valve games, popcap, Activision, etc., etc., etc.) - although I know not all of them will migrate to the Mac platform - if Valve does make their games for Mac (L4D, HL, etc.) I hope they give existing owners the ability to migrate over. I'm sure my most played titles won't get there soon, but heck, any games that I can get on my Mac, I'd prefer to play there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Nice!!! I can uninstall my windows partition off my MBP then, since the only reason i have it; is for steam.

Team fortress 2, is my game of choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
I'd love for this to happen. But, I really hope they let me migrate my licenses over. I currently have 135 steam titles in my games list (ranging from Valve games, popcap, Activision, etc., etc., etc.) - although I know not all of them will migrate to the Mac platform - if Valve does make their games for Mac (L4D, HL, etc.) I hope they give existing owners the ability to migrate over. I'm sure my most played titles won't get there soon, but heck, any games that I can get on my Mac, I'd prefer to play there!

its mentioned in the article. you can play them on both platforms if you already have the games.

"Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.4C2D/4GB/250GB
this and star craft 2 and my life will be complete ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
I have a PS3, and I love it. It has the exclusives I want to play. There are very few games on the XBox/360 that I wish to play that haven't eventually come to PS3, or been released on the PC. In fact, I can't think of one off of the top of my head. I run bootcamp, and have been able to play the games I want generally (Mass Effect series, mostly). But if I could start running those games without running bootcamp, that'd be great. There are some purely PC games I'd like to play natively in OSX, also. So this is really good news to hear.

For the record, I don't think the 360 is a bad console. It's the right choice for some, just not me. I just wanted to get that out of the way to preemptively squash any sort of flame war :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hopefully this will help encourage Apple to include beefier graphics cards across the range.

I've seen iMac refresh rumours of Apple buying up ATI 5750 GPUs. Maybe this is why?

Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
its mentioned in the article. you can play them on both platforms if you already have the games.

"Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."

Oh that would be totally awesome! Although it may be a bit much to ask for MW2 to port over (although on the other side of the coin, I'm still ****** at the developers for how they handled that version of COD) being able to play my valve games and maybe torchlight (since it's being ported to Mac) would be definitely awesome without having to pay any more. At least it'll keep me going until SC2 and D3 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hopefully this will help encourage Apple to include beefier graphics cards across the range.

I've seen iMac refresh rumours of Apple buying up ATI 5750 GPUs. Maybe this is why?

Fingers crossed.

If you know of such a rumour, post ut up as a new topic here with a link. I'd love to read about these rumours :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
Can't wait to play some Half Life again! Also getting tired of playing Starcraft, ready for the 2nd on to come out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.