• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Moving (mostly text) from Windows to OS X 10.6.2

Reaction score
Made the switch to Apple - super happy. Now can I move mostly text files on Windows to a USB and upload them to the iMac?

Is there special software or steps I need to follow?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Made the switch to Apple - super happy. Now can I move mostly text files on Windows to a USB and upload them to the iMac?

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,
Both OSes will recognize the USB drive natively, so just drag`n`drop/copy and paste the files onto the drive and then drop them where you need them in OS X :)

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If those are truly just text file formats then you shouldn't have a problem, but if they are other formats such as .doc Word files, etc then you might need extra software to read and edit them properly.

As Rottie said copying files over to your Mac is easy. Whether you can read or write them is another matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.