late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 320 GB Hard drive
Thanks for the help Clay.

Let me re-phrase.

Ok I've searched all night for a solution to my problem, but nothing has come up. I just purchased my first (since about 1995) Macbook. Its a 13inch, black, 2.0ghz intel core duo, 80GB hard drive. Obviously 80GB is a joke so I ordered a 250GB 7200 RPM hard drive from Seagate. I just received it in the mail yesterday. I know how to install it (I am a noob at macs, but I know my way around computers), but I don't can't seem to get it working. I don't have an install disk for Leopard 10.5. I am trying to get a fresh install here. I already have Leopard 10.5 on my computer, and I went to the Apple store in Ann Arbor yesterday, they don't sell Leopard 10.5 anymore, and they wanted me to drop some Obama bailout coin ($169) to get the newest snow leopard box set) I read about cloning the hard drive, which would work, and I've downloaded carbon copy, but how do I get all the new info on my new hard drive? I've tried cloning to my iPod classic, which carbon copy informs me needs to be reformatted to HFS+ in disk utility. I open disk utility, try to partition my ipod, and I'm hit with disk utility internal error, disk utility has lost its connection with disk management tool and cannot continue. I quit and restart, same error everytime. I'm stuck, so if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or redirect me to a thread where this problem has been answered, that'd be great! -Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you already have Leopard, you can purchase the upgrade of Snow Leopard which will likewise do a clean install. The upgrade is only $29.99. Don't let the Apple store salesperson try to sell you something you don't really need.

As for CCC, it only works with a drive formatted to HFS+. Best bet is to buy an inexpensive external USB 2 or FW400 drive, format it to HFS+ and use CCC to clone Leopard on to it. After removing the old drive and installing the new one, boot with the external and use CCC to clone the contents back to the internal drive.

However, I recommend you go with the upgrade of Snow Leopard instead.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 320 GB Hard drive
ok so I figured out my problem. I still had my ipod tied to my windows computer, so I just reformatted it so OS X could read it, and it worked. I got the hard drive installed, and it works great. I will upgrade to snow as soon as i get time to go to the apple store again. Yeah the guy wanted me to buy the box set for some reason, not really sure why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Glad you got it worked out.

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.