• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Military People Thread!

S

Steel02001

Military Personell Peeps?

I was curious who all here has/is serving in the military and if so where have to been.

I am in the Air Guard, have yet to be deployed over seas but have been flown to Texas to guard planes down there and will probably do it again later this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i am. i have been to Malta; Aqaba, Jordan; Bahrain; Dubai/Jebel Ali; Terragona, Spain; St. Maarten, NA; Boston; NYC. i think that is it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
OK, so I was reading the threads, and I kept seeing words like "deployment" and "training", and since I was interested, I figured I'd post a thread for us military types to say where we are and what we're doing.

So I'll start: I'm finishing up here at the USMMA in Kings Point, NY (where I am currently a Midshipman.) Gonna graduate in 25 days and get my commission as an ensign in the Navy, and then after a few weeks at home with my new Powermac, I'll be heading down to Florida to start flight training- which has been a goal for me as long as I can remember (and man, I can hardly wait...)

What about all of you?

OP
B

Brigrat

Well, not a current military type here, however; I served in the USMC from 1996-2000, and the reserves from 2000-2004. I am currently the Security Operations Supervisor at a Nuclear Power Plant. What is funny, is that when I turned in my M-16 for the last time as a Marine, I smiled thinking tht I would never have to clean one of those **** things ever again, lo and behold by early 2002, I was at the nuke plant, and carrying a **** M-16 again. Oh well, I love my job, and ****, if you can't be good...Be good at it!

OP
B

Brigrat

Steel02001 said:
This is very similar to this thread

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18404&highlight=military

I am in the Air Guard. Have had no real deployments, been to texas a few times to guard planes and go to lackland this summer for 14 weeks of training.
Lackland Rocks!!! I wen to the Corrections academy there, and had a great time. Oh how I miss the nurses at the hospital ;), and all of the young lady airmen who are just getting out of boot camp! I had a blast. Enjoy the River Walk, and drink a lot, San Antonio is a fabulous place to be stationed...Trust Me!!! It was the best time of my career!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sevenhelmet said:
OK, so I was reading the threads, and I kept seeing words like "deployment" and "training", and since I was interested, I figured I'd post a thread for us military types to say where we are and what we're doing.

So I'll start: I'm finishing up here at the USMMA in Kings Point, NY (where I am currently a Midshipman.) Gonna graduate in 25 days and get my commission as an ensign in the Navy, and then after a few weeks at home with my new Powermac, I'll be heading down to Florida to start flight training- which has been a goal for me as long as I can remember (and man, I can hardly wait...)

What about all of you?

i have not come across a lot of mac users during my time in. there are some however. have fun in p-cola during you training.

OP
B

Badger

'67-'71 USSF, 7th and 5th groups, Vietnam service from March '69 to Jan '71

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
fearlessfreap24 said:
i was going to say a lot of nice things about the navy to you, but you will find out soon enough. the haze gray and underway navy is much different than the wild blue yonder navy. i have not come across a lot of mac users during my time in. there are some however. have fun in p-cola during you training.

Hey, thanks fearless! Sorry about all the redundancy, looks like I wasn't the first one to have a military thread idea. I love reading everybody's responses though- just seeing who all is on the forums...
:cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fearlessfreap24 said:
i am. i have been to Malta; Aqaba, Jordan; Bahrain; Dubai/Jebel Ali; Terragona, Spain; St. Maarten, NA; Boston; NYC. i think that is it
and really soon, Panama City, Panama

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Great thread! I am in the US Navy and have been for 13 years now. I am a First Class Gunners mate and work on Missile system on ships. The type you all see on TV that fire the Tomahawk missiles. They fire others as well. i have been to Japan (lived there for 4 years) China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, thailand, Singapore, Phillapeans, Indonesia, Brunei, Bahrain, Dubai, Abu dhabi, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Sharsha, Iraq, Australia, Mexico, Canada, Bali, Ukraine, Rusia, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, UK, France, Korea, all over I guess, 13 years in will do that for you in the Navy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
E-6 (IT1), USCG. Although not stationed there, been around most of the caribbean in the late 90's for port calls. Aruba, Jamaica, (no Bermuda, sorry Beach Boys), Curacao, Cartahena Columbia, Grand Caymans, St. Martin, Barbados, Haiti, Puerto Rico. Been stationed in Virginia and California. I wasn't an OCONUS traveller like most everyone else here.

Now I administer networks/servers and design web apps, SQL DB's and have my own consulting business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW i am an ET2 (Electronics Technician) I am a Radar Tech, formerly a navigation tech.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO ALL THAT SERVE AND ALL THAT HAVE SERVED.

thank yall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Ex-Active Army: Been to Fort Jackson, Fort Sam Houston, Fort benning, Fort Stewart(jrtc)x3, Fort Irwin(ntc)x2, Fort Polk(marne focus), Haiti(operation uphold democracy), Bosnia(operation joint guard), Nicaragua(operation build hope)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Captain, United States Army. Been on active duty for eleven years (2 years enlisted). I gradute in two weeks from Harvard (Kennedy School of Government), next assignment is at the Pentagon. Been to Kuwait, Bosnia, Croatia, South Korea on deployements.

Just switched from PC to Mac. So far so good. The more I get the hang of my Mac the more I like it.

Happy Memorial Day to all of you.

"Here's to us and those like us!"
(Bonus points for anyone who can name the movie and actor quoted above.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Erudite.Warrior said:
Captain, United States Army. Been on active duty for eleven years (2 years enlisted). I gradute in two weeks from Harvard (Kennedy School of Government), next assignment is at the Pentagon. Been to Kuwait, Bosnia, Croatia, South Korea on deployements.

Just switched from PC to Mac. So far so good. The more I get the hang of my Mac the more I like it.

Happy Memorial Day to all of you.

Outstanding! Thank You For being in the Military!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Erudite.Warrior said:

Gardens of Stone
James Earl Jones - Sgt. Major "Goody" Nelson

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
IanCT said:
Gardens of Stone
James Earl Jones - Sgt. Major "Goody" Nelson

:)
One of my favorite movies. Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.