Apple's iPad and Microsoft's Courier

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to be excited about Apple's iPad, and what doors it may open for being a new type of device in between the smartphone and notebook. But, what about other tablets that will compete with the iPad. A lot of people are saying the iPad will ran supreme, but ever since last year Microsoft has been working on a secret tablet (Courier) as well that offers many features like an iPad, but also, apparently much more. Do you guys think this thing can really compete with the iPad, or will it just end up like the Zune and gather certain people?

microsoft-courier-tablet.jpg

courier-big.jpg

Additional Information: Microsoft's Courier 'digital journal': exclusive pictures and details (update: video!) -- Engadget

C

chas_m

The "exclusive pictures" are actually just computer mockups -- no actual product (even a prototype) exists as of now.

Seems like an interesting idea generally, though given Microsoft's track record on concept v. execution (Surface, anyone?) we'll have to see how it goes ...

My only other thought on it at this point is that I don't see any way this will really compete with the iPad, since it's likely to be at least 3x heavier (in addition to being at least 2x larger). Again, knowing Microsoft, they will try to make it do everything for everyone, which will end up pleasing nobody.

EDIT: I should add that I'm totally over styluses (except perhaps for drawing, but indications are that the courier is not designed to be used as a drawing tablet), so that's another minus on it for me personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This looks like a really good idea. But I think it really will depend on how well the OS and apps are integrated into the unit. You can shut it like a book so you don't have to worry too much about scrtatches of the screen when in your bag. And using it would just be like holding a book in your hand.

But there is a catch with a book. When you hold a book, well it's easy to hold a book because both of your hands are holding the book and your eyes read. And only rarely do you have to turn a page. But with this pad or any pad, one hand is taken for the pen or finger to use the device so you only have one hand to hold it. So imagine holding a heavy book with one hand for a long while. It'd become really cumbersone and heavy after a while. Not the best idea in my opinion. having it on a desk and stand would fix these issues. But then it is not as portable as it could be.

And if you turn the device on it's end so it's one screen ontop of each other, it looks just like a larger nintendo DS. So nothing groundbreaking there but hardwarewise it looks like a real competitor to the ipad. But does it have a good OS, good apps, good integration with your other computers in the house, will it be affordably priced? I think all of those things will decide if this thing is successful or not.

I've watched both the videos in the link. And all those videos do is display how this new device had multi touch gestures. The same ones that Apple unveiled ages ago. So old news there. Just MS playing copy and catchup.

To me this is really this is the offspring of an Ipad and a Nintendo DS. If they mated this is what would result. This MS product. Nothing really revolutionary to be said here. But ot does have a little potential. And if MS will use this potential well or screw it up only time will tell.

A competitor to the ipad? Nah? People buy Apple products for the OS as much as the hardware. And in the past windows mobile OS's have sucked hard. This would have to have a really awesome OS on it to even thinking about succeeding.

OP
Closerframe
Reaction score
I agree with some of the comments made, but I wouldn't say its an offspring of an iPad or Nintendo DS. The design looks completely refreshing, and the weight probably will be around roughly the same or a little heavier than the iPad. the8thark is definitely right about the OS being the key component for this thing. If its anything close to what was shown in the videos then I'll definitely be picking this thing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.