• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac is hard to use ( super smart ex co worker )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
Last year a former co worker/workers and myself all had a discussion about my love for Mac's. One co worker said they were too expensive. The second co worker stated that they are so hard to use.

I had to ask how she thought they were so tough, since Mac is known for it's easy interface. Well because the buttons are on the left instead of the right.
Oh and there is hardly any software available for a Mac. I find that when you try to inform / help somebody know about Mac, they just dont care. They want to make an uneducated opinion on Mac yet do not wish to listen to the truth. Does this happen to anybody else here?.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All you're doing is creating a Mac vs. PC/Windows thread...which hardly ever ends up pretty!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
It happens to most people. My friend calls me a fanboy. That's not what it's about- being a fanboy- it's about owning a different brand of computer with an easier interface.

But what is this I'm hearing that the buttons are on the left side?

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buttons = the close,min,max.

I know 100% I am perhaps starting a Mac vs Pc thread O:). Least we are on a Mac forum.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It happens to most people. My friend calls me a fanboy. That's not what it's about- being a fanboy- it's about owning a different brand of computer with an easier interface.

But what is this I'm hearing that the buttons are on the left side?

System 1 came out 1.5 years before Windows 1. It had the buttons on the LEFT side just like OSX. So who was first? :D

Reaction score
System 1 came out 1.5 years before Windows 1. It had the buttons on the LEFT side just like OSX. So who was first? :D

I'm such a space cadet LOL. As if it makes much of a difference. I find using keyboard shortcuts makes my computer time faster, you know: Alt-F4 in Windows is also the same as Command-W and Command-Q in Mac OS X.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use both Windows and OSX pretty much daily and never have issues closing a window. People like to pick at the buttons on the Left just for something to run down OSX and Macs. I have been using both side by side since System 6 and Windows 95.

Agreed with you on the Command Vs Control or F whatever. Same thing. Just different key or keys.

To the OP, if this turns into a war, it will be closed. Normally any Mac Vs PC thread does just that and we do not allow fighting here on Mac Forums.

OP
neonmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use both Windows and OSX pretty much daily and never have issues closing a window. People like to pick at the buttons on the Left just for something to run down OSX and Macs. I have been using both side by side since System 6 and Windows 95.

Agreed with you on the Command Vs Control or F whatever. Same thing. Just different key or keys.

To the OP, if this turns into a war, it will be closed. Normally any Mac Vs PC thread does just that and we do not allow fighting here on Mac Forums.

I do apologize if it does indeed cause a Mac vs Pc war. Was not my intention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Couldnt refuse lol

20100304-m9nn6hwd76k8js7y6e4huejr4d.jpg

Reaction score
Definately not hard to use, just different than what most are accustumed to at first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
I'd say Macs are easier to use. Most of my life I've used a Windows computer and now I'm switching to Mac and I find the transition easy and kinda fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'd say Macs are easier to use. Most of my life I've used a Windows computer and now I'm switching to Mac and I find the transition easy and kinda fun.

That's because you've never used an abacus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This simply a topic about someone who knows very little about Macs. And needs to be taught about them and the abundance of software that runs natively on OS X. That's all. Things are always hard to use until you take the time to learn how to use it properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's a personality thing. If a person is always interested in learning how things work or understanding something new to them, then they will have an open mind approach to Macs and take the time to learn how to use them as they were designed to be used.
If the person just wants to keep doing things the way they've always done, then they're not going to invest any effort in educating themselves on how to use a Mac. It's a mental "wall" that blocks them from getting anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5GHz i5, 4GB RAM
That's because you've never used an abacus.

This is very true LMAO! But isn't using Windows close to using an abacus? Also, remember with Windows failure is never an option it comes standard with every Microsoft product!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
They're pretty easy to use. 'Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Oh and there is hardly any software available for a Mac.

This is a common problem - and honestly let's face it - if you walk into a big brand name store (ie: Best Buy, even office depot which also sells both Mac and windows software) what do you see? rows and rows and rows of Windows based software (and heaven forbid they use software available at walmart as the single indicator of quantity of software available - I think our walmart here has 1 software package that is for OSX and my guess is someone checked a wrong box on an order form). If you see any mac software, it's usually maybe one shelf set or *maybe* two - this leads to the common misconception that there is very little software available for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
OK, here is the REAL deal from a hardcore Windows person. ( I love my MBP!)

Scenario,

Two Screens
Adobe Acrobat pro running
MS Word running
Video conference
Firefox with 5 tabs

During conference, cut, paste switch between programs, check tabs in the browser, cut from a page in the browser into a blank word doc, resume of person on conference open in another word doc.

Old Environment:

Adobe locks up.....grays out, can't switch to word. ctrl-alt-del. Restart Adobe. Doing this freezes Skype. Still can't get to word docs. Lag in switching tabs in browser.

This is ONLY the first 10 minutes on a machine similarly spec'd out like my MBP

Max OSX

Everything worked.

This is an everyday real live fire scenario, which, prior to my MBP, was a frequent scenario. I work in a computer environment, and work with them in every conceivable configuration. Electronic discovery, digital forensics, Virtualization, forensic imaging. That was not so much a resume, but simply a way to say, I have somewhat of a clue. The bottom line, for me to switch was a little difficult because I knew ways and shortcuts to do things, because the old environment called for it, so breaking habits, and simply trusting the laptop would work was a concept I did not fully understand or believed could in fact exist.

Now, again, not a flame, just a day in my life comparison.

And the Bestbuy's of the world sales force do not understand the Mac, so they push and recommend what they know, PC's. And, let's face it, in a tough economic time, pocket books dictate computer purchases, however, it is simply delaying the inevitable spend that will occur after the purchase. Software to fix software, anti-virus, go to Geek squad to fix configuration for use with Comcast. Spyware, pop-up blockers, hours on hold with Comcast, load their software. All software purchased or downloaded for free load toolbars in IE. Can't remove toolbars from IE. Disk fragmentation HUGE! Registry gets bloated. = more than triple the purchase price of the HP/Dell/Gateway/Toshiba in software, gas, time spent on hold.

Can't get a Mac because, while esthetically pretty, have NO idea how to use. and the first comment in the store when banging on the keys of a Mac, it doesn't work like Winblows...

Switcher (me) posts a comment like the one above, and I get blamed for flaming! LOL!!!!! :D

I have 2 Dells, 1 Toshiba, 2 HP's

*****Please note, take the sarcasm above, and know it was more of my life being splayed out on the world wide web for humors sake*******

Thank you, I feel much better!!! No, really, I do! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
I recently had my most difficult experience with a Mac. I was using Migration Assistant and it wasn't working. It kept failing. Well after three calls to Apple Support we figured out on of the Macs Firewall setting was set to block all incoming transmissions. Took that off, worked beautifully. That was the most difficult experience I had, and it wasn't even bad.

Not only was the experience not to bad, but Apple Support was extremely swift and efficient. I never waiting on hold, the tech support tech waiting on the phone when he didn't have to, and the MOST important thing of all, I called three times, and all three times I was talking to someone who was born in this country and had NO accent... It was an amazing experience :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.