Maximizing battery life

P

pankajdubey

Just wondering how long does one charge of Powerbook G4 12inch will last for document viewing and typing ,and are there ways to make it last longer.

Thanks

Pankaj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i am sure there are already, but i turn the brightness down to the point you can see it, not all the way up. if you arent using your airport card, turn it off. on my iBook i get about 4 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Go into System Preferences. There is a "power saving" thing you can go to, where you can set some settings that will save power (one of which is to modify your processor speed). Turning off airport will help a lot. Setting a lower screen brightness can make a big difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
With everything on, and at full brightness, I get about 1.5 hrs on my 17" Powerbook. But I'm very much a power user, and I also like to listen to music while I work. For just word processing, I was once able to push 6 hours out of it. I think I'll be buying a second battery soon though, I would like to watch DVDs more when I travel.

OP
K

Kokopelli

With brightness one above off, CPU at reduced, hardrives set to spin down, and no bluetooth I run 5 hours? Maybe a little over? I have been running on battery since I got home an hour ago and the "time left" still shows 4:28. If I do something that hits the disk often (i.e. not farting around on the web) then I would probably burn through more power. The optical drive is the worst consumer though. I can make it through a 2 hour DVD, with maybe 30 minutes of juice left on my normal battery. If I rip it, then I can make it through 4 hours of movie watching, but just barely.

I could probably get an extra 30-45 minutes if I turned off the Airport but then I would probably be doing something that hits the HD so it evens out in a weird sort of way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.