How do I back up my hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
I am having a hard time backing up my Mac to an external hard drive. I am new to Mac, so some of these simple things are still stumping me. On my first backup attempt with Time Machine, everything was automatic and successful, but now when I try (using the Time Machine icon in the top left corner - right click - backup now), I get a message saying that the backup disk is not available. Please help. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Simple Time Machine instructions.

Instead of using Time Machine, you might wish to use the clone method of backup instead. Since Time Machine backups are not bootable, a clone can be very useful if for example your hard drive dies. Clone to an external drive using special software: SuperDuper (shareware) or Carbon Copy Cloner (donation ware).

I use both methods of backup = Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. I have two separate external hard drives which I use.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am having a hard time backing up my Mac to an external hard drive. I am new to Mac, so some of these simple things are still stumping me. On my first backup attempt with Time Machine, everything was automatic and successful, but now when I try (using the Time Machine icon in the top left corner - right click - backup now), I get a message saying that the backup disk is not available. Please help. Thank you.

Have you checked the log files ... Launch TM and watch the logs ... there must be a reason why you get that error message.

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

1. You don't need to manually invoke Time Machine. It will back up automatically.

2. If it says the drive isn't available, it's not available. It's turned off or unplugged or not mounted. Look at your desktop, do you see two drives there? If not, the Time Machine drive (usually a green icon) is not on, not connected or unmounted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.