iMac G5 - Pro Tools optimization

T

TheAwesome

Hi all!
Just wondering if there are any Pro Tools users on the site. I just bought an iMac G5 (my first ever mac) and am wondering if there are any optimization tips. This is a dedicated Studio computer which is only used for running audio software. Its maxed at 2gig of RAM and other than that is a standard 20" iMac G5.

Thanks for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac g5 1.8ghz 1 gb ram iBook G4 1.2ghz 768 mb ram
although i do not use pro tools, i use reason and logic. how much was pro tools? a buddy of mine used to have it and it was amazing

OP
T

TheAwesome

ProTools is relatively cheep when you consider what you get for the money. For the MBox which is 2 in 2 out your only looking at around $1000 AUD (I am in Australia) and that includes the hardware AND software. When you consider Logic is about $1500 for just the software it starts to put things in perspective. I am on an endorsment with a music store in Sydney, Australia, so I buy things at a much better price than RRP. So to have 16 in and 16 out @ 24bit 96Khz and the ProTools Software all for under $2000 AUD is pretty impressive.

And in short, yes, ProTools IS amazing! When I went through my Audio Engineers course Cubase SX had just come out replacing VST, so it was all the rage. I used that for the duration of my course, but when I graduated I thought I would give Tools a go. Once I did I never looked back!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.