iPad and e-textbooks

Reaction score
Hey all, so this one's mostly for the college students out there, but really it's open for anyones input. I just got out of school earlier today and I cruised through the Financial Aid department (never a good time).

I asked the lady at the desk if the school would be supporting e-textbooks now that the iPad is coming out, and she told me the President issued a statement last week saying all the schools text books will be covered through the iPad by September 2010 (just in time for the fall semester).

I know this is pretty much shinfo for all of you but if you're a student and you're considering the iPad like myself, it can't hurt to check with your school to see if textbooks will be supported too! It definitely helps justify the price tag they've tossed on what some are calling a "glorified iPod Touch." Let me know what you find out from your schools! I'd love to know how widespread textbooks on the iPad will be by the beginning of the 2010/11 year. Have yourselves a great day.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the report. It's only the beginning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Oh I see this as the future really. Why spend all that money and cut down all of those trees for massive textbooks. Sure a few old fuddys will cry for their hard covered books. But the rest of us will love no more weight in our bags and the greenies will applaud less trees being cut down. And the book publishers will gain more profits with the cost for piniting will almost dissapear. And Apple will get their few ¢ per book too. Only potential losers in this are the authors. They will have to fight for a fair share of the profits too.

And I hope more schools adopt this new technology.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.