• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

By the skin of my teeth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So I opened my MBP yesterday...and the screen failed to turn on. And it still does after trying several times. The computer starts up and you can hear everything, it's just that the screen has died...

bummer...

At least I ordered it on 2/28/09, right? I have an appointment, tomorrow, 83.8 miles and 1 hour and 30 minutes away at one of the closest Apple stores to where I live so they can see that it's dead exactly one day before the warranty quits.

I'd call Apple on the phone and ask if I could send it to them and then have them send it back to me after fixing it, but unfortunately without Apple care they'll only tell me to take it to the closest Genius Bar. Customer service, eh?

:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Jeez! I hope they sort it for you. Either good luck for it to go now, or bad that it went at all. Close call!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
So I opened my MBP yesterday...and the screen failed to turn on. And it still does after trying several times. The computer starts up and you can hear everything, it's just that the screen has died...

bummer...

At least I ordered it on 2/28/09, right? I have an appointment, tomorrow, 83.8 miles and 1 hour and 30 minutes away at one of the closest Apple stores to where I live so they can see that it's dead exactly one day before the warranty quits.

I'd call Apple on the phone and ask if I could send it to them and then have them send it back to me after fixing it, but unfortunately without Apple care they'll only tell me to take it to the closest Genius Bar. Customer service, eh?

:Angry:

Now thats great timing , usually its the day after the warranty expires ! Just a thought but maybe while you are at the apple store pick up the box labeled Apple Care ? You know what murphy would say....

Clay

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Now thats great timing , usually its the day after the warranty expires ! Just a thought but maybe while you are at the apple store pick up the box labeled Apple Care ? You know what murphy would say....

Clay

I know, I know. But I've never bought warranties for any of my notebooks and I've never had problems with anything dying. In fact, a co-worker's wife still has a nearly 10 year old HP notebook that used to be mine and other than a seriously dead battery, it's chugging along...very slowly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I know, I know. But I've never bought warranties for any of my notebooks and I've never had problems with anything dying. In fact, a co-worker's wife still has a nearly 10 year old HP notebook that used to be mine and other than a seriously dead battery, it's chugging along...very slowly...

And because of this post, you REALLY should pick up that little box! You probably would have been fine, but since you posted your luck, you might just have hosed it. Just lookin' out for ya is all! ;)

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And because of this post, you REALLY should pick up that little box! You probably would have been fine, but since you posted your luck, you might just have hosed it. Just lookin' out for ya is all! ;)

$350?! ***, that's redonkulous. I'm just going to sell it and buy another one if Apple ever releases an i7 notebook.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It was the PRAM. I was so hung over I didn't make it yesterday so when I went to check it, it worked. I restarted it and it didn't. I remembered something about the PRAM and reset that and now it's working fine. I cloned my drive to a new 500GB HDD and installed that, so everything's working great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It was the PRAM. I was so hung over I didn't make it yesterday so when I went to check it, it worked. I restarted it and it didn't. I remembered something about the PRAM and reset that and now it's working fine. I cloned my drive to a new 500GB HDD and installed that, so everything's working great.

I think you could call that a stroke of luck then!
Don't drink and hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yikes! I'd still recommend Apple Care before it's too late!

C

chas_m

It sounds like you experienced something I used to call "heat coma."

What usually happened was that after a user puts the computer to sleep, either they don't check to see if its ACTUALLY asleep, or some process "wakes it up" with the lid down while its in an enclosed or poorly ventilated space. The heat builds up, nowhere to go, and when you come back it SOUNDS like it comes on but the screen doesn't light up.

The solution for that issue is to simply power it down and leave it ALONE for 30 minutes to completely cool, then (optionally) reset the PRAM when turning it back on.

Maybe that wasn't the case here, but its just an FYI for people who often carry their laptops in sleeves or backpacks, as it happens most often in those circumstances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

Well then shots all around...ON YOU!!!!! LOL!!!!!! ;)

Glad it worked out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.