• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

It's amazing what you can find in someones closet.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I was over at one of my old Mac buddies house today. (This guy literally has two full rooms of mac parts)

Anyhow he was helping me with a harddrive I happen to ask him if he had any
other Powerbooks. he walks into his closet and pulls out a bag........

I plugged it in and voila it works....lol

Powerbook 145B

Now check out these specs.
25Mhz
4MB RAM
120MB HD
9.8" monochrome passive-matrix

2qxyq9k.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good Find! I have the Powerbook 170 which is from the same time period but TFT display and a bit more RAM. Still works also!

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was over at one of my old Mac buddies house today. (This guy literally has two full rooms of mac parts)

Anyhow he was helping me with a harddrive I happen to ask him if he had any
other Powerbooks. he walks into his closet and pulls out a bag........

I plugged it in and voila it works....lol

You really shouldn't have been too surprised by this...you already mentioned that this "Mac Buddy" had two full rooms of parts.;)

So did he give you the Powerbook 145?...do you have any plans for it?

- Nick

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You really shouldn't have been too surprised by this...you already mentioned that this "Mac Buddy" had two full rooms of parts.;)

So did he give you the Powerbook 145?...do you have any plans for it?

- Nick

He gave it to me, Not sure what to do with it.I was playing with it last night, brings back memories.... Just think at one time this was a top line expensive Powerbook...lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just think at one time this was a top line expensive Powerbook...lol

Yes...that's what I think about all of the Mac's I have. At one time they cost A LOT MORE MONEY...and were the cutting edge of technology at the time!:)

I wish we could convey this same sort of logic to all of the folks who are waiting for the next laptop, Mac Pro, or iMac update before buying. They really don't realize that in no time at all...their cutting edge computer will just be yesterday's "has been" computer.;)

Life as "King of the Hill" in the computing world is very very short!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Hahahha awesome find! I wish I tech savy friends! I'm the only tech guy out of every one I know lol.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Good find!

I still remember the days of my families old packerd bell where we were in awww of 64mb of ram. It was like "NO WAY! That thing has a floppy drive AND 64mb's of ram!"

I can't imagine how my kids kids will look upon the computers we used today....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Good find!

I still remember the days of my families old packerd bell where we were in awww of 64mb of ram. It was like "NO WAY! That thing has a floppy drive AND 64mb's of ram!"

I can't imagine how my kids kids will look upon the computers we used today....

Pfft, if I ever have kids, they'll respect these machines, because they're their history. You couldn't get to wear they are without this step. Plus, I'll be keepng up with the tech right along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Pfft, if I ever have kids, they'll respect these machines, because they're their history. You couldn't get to wear they are without this step. Plus, I'll be keepng up with the tech right along.

Well that is how they SHOULD look upon them. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Nice. I wish I had a Powerbook that old. I still use my 3400/180 regularly. 40MB of RAM, OS 8.6. Mine is upgraded with a 16GB CompactFlash hard disk. It's silent and ultrafast. After my iBook's hard disk went south for the SECOND time back in 2005, I just gave up on it and went back to the 3400.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.