iPad and AppleCare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to throw this out. Do you think AppleCare will be offered for the iPad like it is for the iPhone? If it is offered, for those considering purchasing the iPad, will you buy it?

Thanks!!!

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes it will be offered like it is offered for all of Apple products. Sure that is not a 100% certainty. But every one of Apple's other products even ipods have an Apple Care for them. So my best guess is yes when you buy your ipad you can get an ipad Apple Care too. How much this Apple Care will cost is anyone's best guess at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The chances are very high that AppleCare will be offered for the iPad.

Reaction score
I'm betting the Apple Care will run between 100-150 for the iPad. Just my guess.

Reaction score
Lotus Esprit said:
I would never waste my money on any extended warranty on a product like this or a tv. It just isn't worth it. Now if you have a mission critical server or something of that nature then you must, but for consumer electronics the odds are in your favor (80/20) that you will never have to use it.

I have to ask....where are you getting these statistics regarding consumer electronics?? I'm curious.

IMHO the question of purchasing a warranty comes down to asking yourself "could you handle the financial burden if your purchase had to be replaced?" If the answer is yes, then I wouldn't spend the money on a warranty. If the answer is no, the I would at least consider the feasibility of buying the warranty.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
imho:

The purchase of extended warranties is a gigantic money pit for the consumer. Some of you will not realize this until you hit your 50's or 60's. The last time I sat down and figured out how much money I'd be out of pocket if I had bought extended warranties on all the cars, electronics, household appliances, etc. that i've purchased; I'd be out in the neighborhood of $30-40,000 at a minimum.

Extended warranties are a HUGE money maker for retailers. In many cases meaning the difference in their continued existence or their demise. At a 50% profit for the retailer, another 50% for the company that is actually supplying the warranty, that leaves 25% to pay for the actual repairs they may do, including the labor to do those repairs.

While it may be nice to have an expensive repair made for free, over a lifetime, the individual is the one that comes out on the losing end. That's why the actuaries get paid the big bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
No offence Bob, but I make that 125% :)

However, I agree completely with the idea - Extended warranties are a huge con.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Bob you are totally correct.

But at the time you need to use the extended warranty some people might not have the upfront cash for the repair. So you just have to wait with a broken product till you save up for the repairs. I'm sure for the ipad etc waiting would be ok but for a work computer or something those weeks with no computer would be lost income.

So I agree with you for everything but for devices critical to one's source of income I'd rethink the extended warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It is well known that things always break down on 'Day that Warranty expires + 1' :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.