Another Windows user Falls to Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
My expirience with my iMac has been incredible so far (if you interested in it, read this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19166 )

And upon seeing all the cool stuff I can do, my mother purchased a 17" Mac yesterday. I set the unit up for her and start to show here how to navigate and how things play together and here reaction was WOW!

As she put it, it was the little things that impressed her, like how you add a user to iChat, it also adds the entry into your address book. How she subscribed to my calendar and now has it on her desktop. Everything seemed to just work, and also work together, one program with the next.

We setup a .Mac account, and she's finally giving up AOL as her e-mail and stuff, which makes me happy, b/c AOL was still charging her like $15 / month even though she has a Cable Modem, that's $180 / year for e-mail and AIM. What impressed her about the .Mac service was the ability to view e-mail (not that big of deal), Address Book, and bookmarks from almost any computer. Also, she was very excited about the Backup 2 utility as she has years of Geneology Research of our family on her system.

My mother is also definately not someone I would call a computer novice, she's no programmer, but has been using computers before the PC was even invented, and after 2 hours on the Mac and she was so convinced that for her home computing needs that her iMac is perfect, she is giving her IBM Netvista to my aunt. It's just more good press about how well put together the iMac/iLife/Mac OS X is for the overall user expirience.

Thanks for listening,
Ray

J

jono4macs

Great story. I switched 12 months ago. Would still call myself a noob but the ease of use and installation is phenomenal. Only use the peeeceee for a network course I'm doing.

P

pankajdubey

Gingerly

I have finally dumped dell, windows and fallen for a MAC :mac:

I haven't got it yet(Powerbook G4 12inch+ superdrive).

Has anyone had experience with openoffice for Mac ?

Pankaj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I had one friend (and his mom) convinced to buy an iMac but now she is backing out. She wants security as a top priority. And she needs the ability for the standard Office formats for the kids' schoolwork. I've told her time and time again that you can use MS Office formats on the Mac, you can even RUN MS Office, and that UNIX is much more secure than windows...but now she thinks she will go back to Dell again even though I had to come over every month or so to update and clean it out of spyware... Oh well, I won't be helping out this time, I've given my suggestion that a Mac will do everything she wants and more, but, some people just don't accept Macs. I was once that way, until OS X and the UNIX base, and eventually I gave Mac a try, and here I am.

I've used OOo for the PC for a while and its quite good. For the Mac so far I have been using NeoOffice, based on OOo but better optimized for Mac. I think it uses carbon?
You could always install both side by side to see which one you like better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I havn't used Open Office, although i've heard it is very good. I decided a while back to bite the bullet and get office for mac from M$. It really is some great software.

As for switchers, I am pleased to say that after I got my PB, two friends have taken the time to make their Windows PCs look like OS X, and 3 will be purchasing minis in the next couple months. One has already gotten an old iBook and a Powermac G3, but will upgrade to the mini soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
pankajdubey said:
I have finally dumped dell, windows and fallen for a MAC :mac:

I haven't got it yet(Powerbook G4 12inch+ superdrive).

Has anyone had experience with openoffice for Mac ?

Pankaj

I use the NeoOffice/J version of Open Office on my Mac. Open Office also comes in the X11 version :)
Neo/J has been great to work with and acts more like a Mac program than the X11 version.
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/download.php

Have fun.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.