• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ps3

Reaction score
So I am thinking of buying a PS3, but it seems that they are only selling the slim models now, which I think these things are kinda fugly I think its the matte top that does it. Well though it looks like sams club is got a better deal around then anyone else eg. Crapbuy, Target, Gamestop. They have a PS3 slim 399.99 comes with MW2 2 controllers, and the tv style remote control for it.
What are yours guys thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Put it this way, my 120gb Slim was $300 CDN with only ONE controller, no games or anything else.

EB Games also didn't give me my discount of $100 which I still have to fight them for, but yeah, coming with another controller, TV Remote, and MW2 for $400 is a good deal.

Considering an extra SixAxis controller is about $60, MW2 is about $60-$70, and the TV remote is probably about the same.

Just make sure you buy an HDMI cable if you don't already have one, as the PS3 does NOT come with ANY kind of HD-connectivity medium.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Ya, I thought it was a really good deal considering all that extra would have been like way more then an extra 100 bucks. Does the HDMI cord on that thing handle the sound too? Or will I need to get or does it come with the audio cables?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you need backwards compatibility with PS2 games? If so...the newest PS3's are not backwards compatible.

Otherwise...the basic PS3 system sells for around $299 (with one controller).

Official PS3 controllers sell for about $50-$55 each...and the PS3 remote sells for about $22 bucks. So add the cost of a 2nd controller ($55) and the PS3 remote ($22) to the basic PS3 system price ($299):

$299 + $55 + $22 = $376

Also the price of the PS3 depends on what size hard drive comes with it...you didn't mention the HD size of the PS3 system you're considering.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Do you need backwards compatibility with PS2 games? If so...the newest PS3's are not backwards compatible.

Otherwise...the basic PS3 system sells for around $299 (with one controller).

Official PS3 controllers sell for about $50-$55 each...and the PS3 remote sells for about $22 bucks. So add the cost of a 2nd controller ($55) and the PS3 remote ($22) to the basic PS3 system price ($299):

$299 + $55 + $22 = $376

Also the price of the PS3 depends on what size hard drive comes with it...you didn't mention the HD size of the PS3 system you're considering.

- Nick

You forgot to factor in the cost of the game as well. MW2 new, is about $70 CDN, and used about $50.

Ya, I thought it was a really good deal considering all that extra would have been like way more then an extra 100 bucks. Does the HDMI cord on that thing handle the sound too? Or will I need to get or does it come with the audio cables?

Yes, HDMI stands for "High Definition Multimedia Interface." That being said "multimedia" means that it transfers multiple types of media, in the case, both audio and video at the same time. Make sure you get a high bandwidth cable, one of the 10.2gbps cables, as it will help reduce motion blur and let the console/TV transfer more multimedia data between each other.

Another thing I'm kind of angry about the PS3, is that when you're using HDMI, the only way to run sound to a separate receiver/set of speakers is by using the digital optical audio port, which I do not have a receiver for.

Unless, of course, there is a cable (like the x360), where you can simultaneously run HDMI and a separate analog (RCA) cable for sound.

When I had the x360 setup, I had the HDMI running video, but the audio ran from the typical A/V port to my Logitech X-530 speakers (connected from RCA cables to Logitech's adapter to plug in the black/orange/green 1/8" plugs on the speakers.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You forgot to factor in the cost of the game as well. MW2 new, is about $70 CDN, and used about $50.

I guess I was confused. I thought that the OP mentioned that the PS3 came with two of the special MW2 controllers vs. the MW2 game itself.

After rereading the OP's original post...you're probably right that it's the MW2 game.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Yes, HDMI stands for "High Definition Multimedia Interface." That being said "multimedia" means that it transfers multiple types of media, in the case, both audio and video at the same time. Make sure you get a high bandwidth cable, one of the 10.2gbps cables, as it will help reduce motion blur and let the console/TV transfer more multimedia data between each other.

Another thing I'm kind of angry about the PS3, is that when you're using HDMI, the only way to run sound to a separate receiver/set of speakers is by using the digital optical audio port, which I do not have a receiver for.

Unless, of course, there is a cable (like the x360), where you can simultaneously run HDMI and a separate analog (RCA) cable for sound.

When I had the x360 setup, I had the HDMI running video, but the audio ran from the typical A/V port to my Logitech X-530 speakers (connected from RCA cables to Logitech's adapter to plug in the black/orange/green 1/8" plugs on the speakers.)

Can't you run audio out of the TV? Most everything is going to optical audio cables now though.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
not to worried about backwards compatibility, and ya its the MW2 game that comes with it. I thought it was a sweet deal. and the HDMI cable that good that it does sound too so much neater install on the tv stand, I just know that back in the day there were some things that didnt transfer the sound accross HDMI cable and you had to have a seperate white red rca's

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it was a sweet deal. and the HDMI cable that good that it does sound too so much neater install on the tv stand, I just know that back in the day there were some things that didnt transfer the sound accross HDMI cable and you had to have a seperate white red rca's

My experience connecting my PS3 to my HDTV was I wasn't able (or easily able) to get HD quality from the PS3 to the HDTV with the "RCA" connector cable. When I used an HDMI cable...I had no problem getting HD quality PS3 output to my HDTV.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Can't you run audio out of the TV? Most everything is going to optical audio cables now though.

I could, but I HATE watching TV with surround sound, so that'd require me to constantly unplug my surround speakers, as my TV only has one RCA output for audio.

With the x360, I was going HDMI for video, then in the standard output, using the red/white audio cables running to my speakers which has three 1/8" plugs. The gap between the two RCA cables and the 1/8" plugs was bridged by Logitech's "video game adapter." It's not a "traditional" surround setup.

not to worried about backwards compatibility, and ya its the MW2 game that comes with it. I thought it was a sweet deal. and the HDMI cable that good that it does sound too so much neater install on the tv stand, I just know that back in the day there were some things that didnt transfer the sound across HDMI cable and you had to have a separate white red rca's

I can guarantee it transfers both audio and video, as this is how my PS3 is setup to my TV (Sharp Aquos 40").

I'd check your TV's spec sheet/manual for further info regarding this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
My experience connecting my PS3 to my HDTV was I wasn't able (or easily able) to get HD quality from the PS3 to the HDTV with the "RCA" connector cable. When I used an HDMI cable...I had no problem getting HD quality PS3 output to my HDTV.

- Nick

That's because the RCA or "composite" cables transfer the data in an analogue signal, whereas HDMI is digital, so it's just straight digital signal. There's no A/D conversion.

You'll never get HD quality with an analogue signal, even with component HD cables (which IMO, are just an, upgraded version, if you will, of RCA/composite cables.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because the RCA or "composite" cables transfer the data in an analogue signal, whereas HDMI is digital, so it's just straight digital signal. There's no A/D conversion.

You'll never get HD quality with an analogue signal, even with component HD cables (which IMO, are just an, upgraded version, if you will, of RCA/composite cables.)

Well then I guess that answers it!:) If this is the case...I personally wouldn't want to use a PS3 without the HDMI cable...since the HD picture is so much clearer & detailed.

I bought my PS3 used...and I did play a couple of games on my it (connected to my HDTV) with the RCA connector cable in 480p mode. The picture was really "crappy" and I thought that something was wrong/broken with the PS3 since I purchased it used.

But then I hooked it up with the HDMI cable...and everything looked GREAT!

I highly recommend the HDMI cable to anyone not using one (and has their PS3 connected to an HDTV)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Oh how I wish I had a PS3! I bought a brand new 360 because I have like 30 some odd games I still had, and I missed them all. Maybe in the future I'll get one, but for now I'll just have to live without one ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Haha dude, I sold, well traded-in my x360 to get the PS3.. The only games I'm missing are Gears of War. I have my original Xbox still which feeds my Halo fixes.

Which reminds me, I have to get on EB Game's case again about my $100 discount. When I traded in, the deal was trade in 4 games (min. $8 trade-in value), and you'd get $100 off the purchase of a new PS3.

After looking at the receipt after a few weeks of owning it, I noticed that there was no discount. So yeah, that's like 2 decent titles right there for me.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Haha Nice Dark, I still have my Launch Xbox 360 (no RROD either knock on wood).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I went through four x360's before finally giving in to the PS3.. All I'm gonna say, is that I should've done it a long time ago.

I just can't wait till PSN gets as developed as Xbox Live is. I just hope they don't start charging for it like M$ does.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Yeah I hope they dont start charging either, but you got to admit the XB servers for downloads and games is pretty good, as far as latency issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah I hope they dont start charging either, but you got to admit the XB servers for downloads and games is pretty good, as far as latency issues.

I don't know about that one.. XBL used to kick some serious mojo.. But as of late, it's been terrible.. Cannot connect to games.. Lots of lag, getting kicked from games for no reason, etc.

I had a 10mbps connection while I was using XBL. That's wayyyyy more than enough bandwidth to handle XBL and computer/network needs. Heck, even when I used to have a 4mbps DSL line, I could still download, browse and play on XBL simultaneously.

PSN, on the other hand, flies for me, for the most part. And I'm now on a 6mbps DSL line.

I've really noticed the quality of service from XBL really degrade over the past year. Before I moved to the city, for example. I'd try to play Resident Evil 5 on XBL with a friend who lived in the same city as me. It would NEVER let me join his game, or vice-versa to him.

I personally think M$ is just slacking, now that they have XBLat a really good level of infrastructure. Just my $0.02.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Dark,
That is a really good point, I havent used XBL in a few months, I do have to admit though I like the UI of the PS3 way more then the XB, XB is just so busy its hard to find anything, and the PS3 is so Clean and simplistic I love those types of UI's which is prolly why I love my iPhone too haha :). I think I am going to try to go get the PS3 today, and purchase extra Heavy Rain or Demons souls :D !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Oh man, I love the interface. I was first introduced back in 2005 when the first PSP was released.

But mine got squished during the ride home from Christmas break this year, so I can't use it :(

Heavy Rain is so awesome! I played the demo, and at first I must say I was weary. It was a strange and kind of awkward, and the mechanics were strange.

But the more I played it, the more I wanted more of it. It grows on you. So if you don't like it at first... Play it for an hour, then tell me how you feel about it.

Not to mention, after being a die-hard Xbox user since its release, going from using the Xbox controller to the PS3 was a lot different. I mean, I've had the PSX since the first model, and still have my ceramic white PS2, but the acceleration curve of the analogue sticks is a lot different compared to the Xbox.

It's growing on me now and I' mstarting to become good with it. I mean, I guess it would after beating Uncharted twice (first on hard, then on crushing difficulty), and beating Rainbow Six Vegas 2, all within a few days time :p

Oh, and when/if you get a PS3, hook me up on PSN, my ID is: b0xPunchRec0rds

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.