Practice Mac

Reaction score
Hi Peoples,

I refurbed (new motherboard/more memory, and OS 10.4.11) an old Blue & White G3 Tower to practice on for few months until I get the all new set-up...even this antique beats my Dell in many ways!

Anyway the question is: Is there any way to access my iTunes folders created on the Dell (in my 1TB external HD) without having to 'add to library' all over again? I tried it with some of my music folders and it's eating gigs and creating doubles...plus it's taking forever. I basically just wanna use the Power PC-G3 as a music server. I don't think I can update iTunes anymore because of the OS age and limits. But, there it is-*-Help?

Also as an aside, are there unneeded programs I can delete to, hopefully, speed it up to use JUST as a music server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2009 2.26ghz
Have you tried to use the Home Sharing feature on iTunes? It allows you to play (read only) your iTUnes library if you log in under the same account on another computer. Both need to be connected to the internet though.

C

chas_m

On a Blue & White G3 tower he's not going to EVER be able to run a version of iTunes that supports "Home Sharing."

I would have thought that the PC version of the iTunes Library (and all its attendant assets) would just be able to be moved over to the Mac version in the same place (Home/Music), then have iTunes point to the "new" library by holding the option key at launch, but maybe this only works with later versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It'd be worth a shot nonetheless... you're rackin up the nerd posts quick, chas. Only a member for a month and 631 posts? Yikes!

OP
V
Reaction score
not so

Actually chas m, I did use the home sharing and it did work...for the most part. Took ages to load, and album art was unavailable, plus I had to leave my iTunes running on the Dell, and as we all know (maybe not the pure Applites) it slowed the Dell to crawl as soon as went back to work on it with two more programs open. When all was downlaoded and done it sounded great, but after a bit it started pausing on the mac for no apparent reason. So chas m is mostly right. I'm gonna do a little configging with Ext. HD and iTune settings, plus does anyone know if iTunes 8.2.1 on my blue and white behemoth can be upgraded to the Dells iTunes 9.0.3 or vice-versa with an iTunes downgrade on the Dell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Weird, how much RAM does your Dell have?

OP
V
Reaction score
Full

The Dell has the full 2gigs o' RAM, no viruses, all media on an Ext. 1TB HD...what else can I tell you besides it's born from DellHell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.