Another worthless iPad article

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
Saw this article by a so called "expert". The article mentions "high cost of support" but never details what this cost consists of. Plus the article is under the assumption that the business section is the only one that would be interested in the iPad.

I just don't understand how someone can publish an "analysis" on a product that hasn't even been released. Some people just don't make sense.

A practical look at the iPad - GLG News

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Funny that the article says only business would want an ipad. When Jobs in the keynote said it's a consumer level device. Funny that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And i love this on the top of the page
20100222-fn2qawswwtgexeaj32iurekfx9.jpg

Real intelligent these people are

Reaction score
"Cost of ownership" what the heck does that mean? And they use that sentence 10 times in the article without explaining what the heck they are talking about.

And as the8thark said, they haven't had one in their hands yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You know, the iPad bashing and negative opinions remind me of the new kid in school. Except the new kid isn't even there yet, everyone has only seen a picture. So we automatically start the name calling, and what we think of it, and even talk like we know how it's going to do in the market, what percentage of people will use it, etc.

We've never even used it, never held one in our hands. Never used it long enough to make a decent statement on how well it works with your life, or others' lives. Plus, as I have mentioned somewhere before, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I wish the guy could do some research first before giving his opinion.

What's worse is the fact that the device does not run OS X,

What does it run on, ice skates?

AS for the cost of ownership, I think that around $499 and up

C

chas_m

Cost of Ownership (usually expressed as TOTAL cost of ownership, or TCO) is one "metric" unimaginative people use to measure the "worth" of an item, the other big one being Return on Investment (ROI).

Macs generally have a much lower TCO and much higher ROI than Windows computers, but does that mean businesses embrace them? Of course not -- that would make sense! :)

As a quick example: an iPhone may *cost* $199 to purchase, but you *have* to have a plan with it, and in the US that generally means about $65/month (average) over the course of a two-year contract. So the TCO on an iPhone is $199+($65x24). There's very little ROI since few of us use an iPhone as a primary way to make money (the only "return" such people care about), ignoring the utility and pleasure such a device gives one.

For the iPad, the TCO is pretty hard to determine because the cost beyond the initial purchase is in the hands of the buyer. The iPad's 3G capabilities are pay-as-you-go, not mandatory, so there's a wider range of possibilities compared to the (more or less fixed costs of the) iPhone.

But yes, the article sounds like it is totally worthless, written not to inform but just to get "hits" for the site on a hot topic. Which is why I won't be clicking the link. :)

Reaction score
It is aimed at a number of target audiences, but I think loyal mac users will sit this one out if interested and wait for a second or third generation release, where it may be opened up a bit with more usability for people with technical abilities.

Right now I would rather bid on an old g4 powerbook, or just spend 500 +$ more and buy a new macbook, essentially the ipad has a few great features it can do better than other devices out now, but unless it is developed more and offers ports and etc. I don't see it reaching more versed technical users as a market, especially mac loyallists.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
It is aimed at a number of target audiences, but I think loyal mac users will sit this one out if interested and wait for a second or third generation release, where it may be opened up a bit with more usability for people with technical abilities.

Right now I would rather bid on an old g4 powerbook, or just spend 500 +$ more and buy a new macbook, essentially the ipad has a few great features it can do better than other devices out now, but unless it is developed more and offers ports and etc. I don't see it reaching more versed technical users as a market, especially mac loyallists.

I agree with CyberBob that the iPad is not geared towards technical users and is geared more to the general public that want a portable device to consume media and maybe do a bit more.

I've been a Mac loyalist for many years now and I'm not a super technical person. I don't program or anything like that but I will be buying an iPad on day one.

I have an iMac and an iPhone but was thinking of getting a MBP to be able to do some of the things I do on my iPhone but on a larger screen. Things like web browsing, email, videos/movies and some light word processing and/or presentations through Keynote.

However the cost of the MBP that I wanted and the weight of the machine were always issues for me. I just bought my iMac last May so I didn't relish spending another $1500 or more for a MBP and when the iPad was announced and I saw the demos on the Keynote presentation I was sold. This is exactly what I needed at a price point and weight point that I could be happy with.

Is the iPad perfect? No of course not but it will fill the needs that I have at this point in time. I'll definitely look forward to advancements on the iPad in future versions but Version 1 will be a welcome addition to my family of Mac products!! :D

Reaction score
I agree with CyberBob that the iPad is not geared towards technical users and is geared more to the general public that want a portable device to consume media and maybe do a bit more.

I've been a Mac loyalist for many years now and I'm not a super technical person. I don't program or anything like that but I will be buying an iPad on day one.

I have an iMac and an iPhone but was thinking of getting a MBP to be able to do some of the things I do on my iPhone but on a larger screen. Things like web browsing, email, videos/movies and some light word processing and/or presentations through Keynote.

However the cost of the MBP that I wanted and the weight of the machine were always issues for me. I just bought my iMac last May so I didn't relish spending another $1500 or more for a MBP and when the iPad was announced and I saw the demos on the Keynote presentation I was sold. This is exactly what I needed at a price point and weight point that I could be happy with.

Is the iPad perfect? No of course not but it will fill the needs that I have at this point in time. I'll definitely look forward to advancements on the iPad in future versions but Version 1 will be a welcome addition to my family of Mac products!! :D

Indeed, I am wishy washy on the ipad, at the base price I may end up just buying one, but I would have to get a bit more usability then what Jobs laid forward in initial keynote.

I want some ports, a real os I could probably deal without, but without both I would need some killer apps and usability, and right now for me I don't think its there.

You just proved part of their target audience has been hit though, so let us know if it gets done what you need it too, and how well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.