boot camp question

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out when setting up boot camp should I go with FAT or NTFS?

Also can I still get a virus on the Windows part of the HD if I don't use the internet on it and only use the mac part of the HD for internet?

I think that's all, but more question may come up.

OP
H
Reaction score
Can the Windows partition be re-sized after boot camp/windows is set up if I want to make it smaller or bigger later?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
File system for Windows: You must use NTFS if you're installing Vista or Windows 7. FAT-32 or NTFS can be used for XP Home or Pro but FAT-32 is limited to a max partition size of 32 GB and a max file size of around 4 Gb.

I would use NTFS as it's a journaled file system and does not impose cluster waste. Nor are there any limits on partition or file size. (generally)

As for changing the size of a Boot Camp partition after it has been setup and Windows is installed, the answer is yes, it can be resized using special software. However, I strongly advise you to use a large enough partition initially and not have to worry about resizing later on.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.