Camera Opinion Needed 50D vs d90

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
Ive been looking for a new dslr (will be my first slr) and so far I think I have narrowed down the choice to either the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D. The video that the d90 does is not important to me. I have gone and held both and all that, at this point I really am torn between which one to buy. Any input from anyone as to which way to go would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I had exactly the same choice. Both are excellent cameras and well matched. You've done the best thing and tried them both in your hand. Having handled them both separately I eventually tracked down a shop with both models in stock and spent an hour handling them alternately. With my small hands I found the Nikon a 'better fit' and I thought the menu system more intuitive. After six months I'm still learning how to use it but the things I thought I'd find useful (Live view, depth of focus preview) I rarely use, if at all. The things I didn't think I'd find useful I use all the time (white balance adjustment especially).
Whichever you choose, you'll have made a great choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'd say go Canon as a 5d owner. :D

However, both are at the same range and offer more or less the same features. What you need to decide is what camera feels nicer in your hands, what menu system you prefer and of course the lenses offered for each.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
Two things:
1-Remember you are also buying into the Lens family and that can be a bigger investment than the body. Bodies improve almost annually but you may not want to swap out your favorite pair of lenses if you have $3,000 or more invested in them. For either brand, a good versatile lens (24-70mm f/2.8) is $1300 /canon to $1600/nikon - nextag price.
2-Consider going to a web site like Welcome to dxomark.com (beta), a free resource dedicated to RAW-based camera image quality and comparing the performance of the Sensors. - according to the numbers the D90 out performs the 50D by a fair margin (at least on paper).

I believe both have an APS-c sensor with the Nikon's measuring slightly larger. 22.3x14.9 vs 23.6x15.8

Good luck with your buy.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
Two things:
1-Remember you are also buying into the Lens family and that can be a bigger investment than the body. Bodies improve almost annually but you may not want to swap out your favorite pair of lenses if you have $3,000 or more invested in them. For either brand, a good versatile lens (24-70mm f/2.8) is $1300 /canon to $1600/nikon - nextag price.
2-Consider going to a web site like Welcome to dxomark.com (beta), a free resource dedicated to RAW-based camera image quality and comparing the performance of the Sensors. - according to the numbers the D90 out performs the 50D by a fair margin (at least on paper).

I believe both have an APS-c sensor with the Nikon's measuring slightly larger. 22.3x14.9 vs 23.6x15.8

Good luck with your buy.

Wow awesome site, thanks for that one. It looks like the d90 outperforms the 50d by a bit. Seeing as I have no lens's I think I'm going to go for the d90 and spend the extra money on a nice lens. Thanks for all the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
Okay 3 things

You may want to verify you selection by looking at the reviews at web site Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ.

Okay 4 things. Nikon uses Windows (AVI) format for their video / movie mode. AVI is not a supported format by iMovie and may take a little work if you want to 'edit' a nikon video in iMove. I know you said you were not really into the video feature of the D90 - I'm just saying:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'll weigh in with an opinion too. I am in a similar position, about ready to make the step from point&shoot to DSLR and have been going back and forth on which one for months (literally).

The link below I have found to be an excellent source. BTW: The direct link to the Olympus forum is unintentional, there is a whole range of forums here for the different breeds/brands

Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

My bottomline after all the research is there is no bad choice, it comes down to what features you want and will use (for me a swing out LCD is a biggie) and what feels best in "your" hands.

The one thing I wouldn't do is immediately go either Canon or Nikon without looking at the other possibilities out there. :)

Reaction score
The one thing I wouldn't do is immediately go either Canon or Nikon without looking at the other possibilities out there. :)

I would. No other brands can really compete for low light/high ISO photography which can be essential without lighting equipment.

I don't think anyone can really make this choice for you. As others have said, pick the one that feels best in your hand and has the most comfortable interface/ergonomics for you.

As a Canon 5D owner, and having never owned a Nikon, my opinion is immediately biased so I won't try and influence your decision but I can guarantee you will be happy whichever camera you chose.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
I would. No other brands can really compete for low light/high ISO photography which can be essential without lighting equipment.

I don't think anyone can really make this choice for you. As others have said, pick the one that feels best in your hand and has the most comfortable interface/ergonomics for you.

As a Canon 5D owner, and having never owned a Nikon, my opinion is immediately biased so I won't try and influence your decision but I can guarantee you will be happy whichever camera you chose.

Enjoy!

The two camera's being discussed here are prosumer camera's. Neither of which will handle low light situations well at all.

If the OP seriously want's to get into photography as a hobby then he/she needs to just pick whatever body is going to feel good in their hands. See what menu system and button layout they like the best.

My only input on this situation would be this. If you (the OP) do not plan on actually learning the basics of photography and are only going to be using the camera on it's auto mode I would not even waste the money on either of these camera's. You can get the same quality from any of the main camera manufactures in their consumer line's of camera's.

But if you plan on learning about photography and the photographic triangle of Apeture, shutter speed, and ISO and how to effectively and creatively use them then yes a prosumer camera like these two are a must. And to further this statement, if you really get into the hobby do not waste your time or money buying lens' for the camera you purchase. I say this because if the bug bites you chances are you will be upgrading to a better body and possibly even a full frame body in the future. And the lens' designed for crop body camera's are not very useful on a full frame body. While yes they can be used it isn't really worth it IMO.

Just some things to think about....

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would. No other brands can really compete for low light/high ISO photography which can be essential without lighting equipment. . .

Agreed. And the Canon 5D is an exceptional camera. But making low/light high ISO performance the decisive factor is akin to basing a car buying decision on fuel economy or 0 to 60 performance alone.

It doesn't take long on the photography forums to find many experienced users (including proffessionals) who have 5Ds and their Nikon equivalents who also have Oly, Pentax and even Panasonic cameras as well because they fill an individual need. The Panasonic G1, for example, is capable of producing astounding images in the hands of a talented and experience operator.

There tradeoffs in every decision, so all I am saying is it pays to do a detailed analysis upfront of the options. In the end the Pentax K-series, Oly E-620 or one of the M4/3 rds may be a better fit for the OPs actual intended use.
I could not argue with choosing either the Nikon D90 or Canon 50D in the end, but that doesn't mean either is the best choice in this case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
But Canon and Nikon have the biggest used selections and aftermarket selections out there. Plus, they're the only two that have true pro options if a person in planning on going that route. Sony has a FF DSLR, but it's just not hanging with the big two right now.

Other brands to have options that aren't available to Canon and Nikon until you start spending the big bucks, like weather sealing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for all the great info guys. I pulled the trigger and ordered a D90 this morning. @Phototini I am trying to get into the hobby seriously have even signed up for a photog course designed for dslrs. Probably not going to do this as a living anytime soon but thats what I am eventually shooting for (years down the road).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Enjoy! :)

The D90 is an outstanding camera for the money. I will probably end up with the Panasonic G2 (if it turns out to be a G1 with video) or a Nikon D5000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.6
But if you plan on learning about photography and the photographic triangle of Apeture, shutter speed, and ISO and how to effectively and creatively use them then yes a prosumer camera like these two are a must. And to further this statement, if you really get into the hobby do not waste your time or money buying lens' for the camera you purchase. I say this because if the bug bites you chances are you will be upgrading to a better body and possibly even a full frame body in the future. And the lens' designed for crop body camera's are not very useful on a full frame body. While yes they can be used it isn't really worth it IMO.

Just some things to think about....

r.sptiz Considering you ordered the D90 Nikon, and the attached quote from Phototini. You could avoid being stuck with APS-c (small frame) lens by buying only the Full frame lens and Avoid the 'DX' Nikon lens series completely. The lens designed for the Full Frame bodies (D700 and up) work very well with the smaller sensor bodies (D300s and down). If you ordered the body with a 'kit' lens it will be a DX series lens. Usually stated like AF-S DX Nikor 18-...mm F/... Check the Nikon web site for Lenses and see that the non DX lens descriptions include the DX equivalent focal length. It will be higher than stated on the lens when used on a Full Frame body.

PS congratulations on getting the decision made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS 32gb,
This is the classic battle for people purchasing a new SLR

Canon or Nikon

Pretty similar to the Mac vs PC.

I shoot with Nikon D200 and i have been extremly pleased. I personally chose Nikon because of the feel of the camera in my hand. It felt more sturdy. Most likely due to the magnesium alloy body in the D200

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanx for all the great info guys. I pulled the trigger and ordered a D90 this morning. @Phototini I am trying to get into the hobby seriously have even signed up for a photog course designed for dslrs. Probably not going to do this as a living anytime soon but thats what I am eventually shooting for (years down the road).

You're going to love it. After my iMac, the D90 is the best thing I own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.