• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

SL 10.6.3 ... Soon we hope !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components

Well i havnt experienced much as in crashes, but its nice to see that they are addressing around 90 such problems. And this update will primarily address crashes and making the system more stable. And how more stable can this OS get. Its a dream, but surely am looking forward to the next update though ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have no problems currently but I still look forward to updates never know when you
get something extra you did not know you needed or wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm hoping they fix the random 3 finger gesture not working at startup on my MBP trackpad. That's really the only problem I've been having and it doesn't happen all the time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is good news. The current system has been remarkably stable for me but I am still looking forward to the update. Whenever there is a bug fix release Apple often sneaks in a new feature or improves an existing feature in some way other than bug fixes.

Reaction score
I wonder if they mean 90 core OS stability fixes or fixes that make apps less susceptible to crashing when running on Snow Leopard, the OS I've always found to be rock solid its the apps that occasionally crash, I wonder if thats what they mean ?. Time will tell I suppose.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 to target crashes, over 90 components

Well i havnt experienced much as in crashes, but its nice to see that they are addressing around 90 such problems. And this update will primarily address crashes and making the system more stable. And how more stable can this OS get. Its a dream, but surely am looking forward to the next update though ...

Updates are always great if they solve existing problems without causing bigger ones with the update!;)

More stable is better!:)

I've actually been lazy...I still have 10.5.7 on my MBP...but I do have 10.6.0 on my desktop. Maybe I will finally update both with 10.6.3 when it comes out!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I am waiting to hear all of the reviews of the update . As of right now I am using my SL upgrade disc ( in the jewel case) as a coaster for my coffee . I look at it every day and think "just do it " but my Macbook runs so very well as it is .....and my pop always said if it isnt broke dont fix it .

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Running 10.6.2 is very stable on my new and old MBP but my new one definitely opens
all the apps faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I am waiting to hear all of the reviews of the update . As of right now I am using my SL upgrade disc ( in the jewel case) as a coaster for my coffee . I look at it every day and think "just do it " but my Macbook runs so very well as it is .....and my pop always said if it isnt broke dont fix it .

Yes there is a difference between "If it aint broke don't fix it" and "turning something from great into bloody spectacular"

10.4 and heck even 10.3 was not really broke when Apple decided to upgrade their system. They just wanted an ever better user experience for their customers. Sometimes it is not about fixing what is broke, but missing out on a new better experience.

If we follow your pop's words, then we all would still be using a typewriter. Technically they are not broke, and they can type you out a word doecument just fine. But we all agree it's much quicker, easier, more enjoyable to do it on a computer.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Clay

I agree with pop.
But on that, only being a Mac covert 3 months before SL came out, leopard was beautiful in my eye's. For some reason i was overly excited when i knew SL was to be released, and slept on the door step of the local Mac reseller waiting for the courier to arrive, and once i finally got it, i could notice to difference myself.
I was surprised at this as when Windows was about, i bought a new PC every time i wanted to upgrade to the new OS, and never did a CD installation. And i never really noticed to much of a change except for the pretty colours.

What im getting at friend is, IMO worth doing and doing now. Your not fixing anything, your getting better. A lot better :)

Cheers

And ohh PS i really didnt sleep out the front of the store ......
I was awake all night ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
I have SL on my imac & mb & they both run great,if apple can improve on my computer experiance,well,I am all for it..

C

chas_m

Looking through the changelog for the last couple of updates, they mostly deal with crashes or other problems that occur with very specific sets of circumstances that you or I would typically not encounter, like (a made-up example) printing failing when using a particular kind of non-mainstream printer driver. Which is not to say that's not important to the customer who's affected by it!

On my BlackBook, moving from "Top Sites" to (or from) a webpage often produces a, um, "interesting" albeit momentary graphic display. This is due to my GMA950 chipset. Under 10.6 it was VERY funky, under 10.6.2 it works much better (still not "smooth," but much better). Maybe they'll refine that further in 10.6.3.

Of course, most of these also "sneak in" some fixes to potential security issues, closing a few holes or dealing with stack overflows etc.

Its always worth reading the changelog just in case you say to yourself "hey yeah, that WAS a annoyance now that I think of it!" :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my BlackBook, moving from "Top Sites" to (or from) a webpage often produces a, um, "interesting" albeit momentary graphic display. This is due to my GMA950 chipset. Under 10.6 it was VERY funky, under 10.6.2 it works much better (still not "smooth," but much better). Maybe they'll refine that further in 10.6.3.
:)

Some good points there, but this particular bug, i had like you and many others, but was meant to be one of the bugs they FIXED completely.
The thing is from day one of the 6.2 update i havnt had a single problem with this particular issue, so i hope you give some feedback as when the update comes out to see if it did complete, the bug fix this time around ...

EDIT : and the GMA X3100 chipset too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes there is a difference between "If it aint broke don't fix it" and "turning something from great into bloody spectacular"

10.4 and heck even 10.3 was not really broke when Apple decided to upgrade their system. They just wanted an ever better user experience for their customers. Sometimes it is not about fixing what is broke, but missing out on a new better experience.

If we follow your pop's words, then we all would still be using a typewriter. Technically they are not broke, and they can type you out a word doecument just fine. But we all agree it's much quicker, easier, more enjoyable to do it on a computer.

Hey I didnt say I was against it , I mean I went out and bought the darn disc ! Just waiting for the bugs to be run out thats all. Thats why I said I was interested in this update,

Clay

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey I didnt say I was against it , I mean I went out and bought the darn disc ! Just waiting for the bugs to be run out thats all. Thats why I said I was interested in this update,

Clay

I think you're pretty safe at this point. SL was rocky in its initial release, but by 10.6.2, it's pretty solid. I think the biggest problem with any new OS X release is that Apple has no qualms about ditching backward compatibility. So, a lot of people port over incompatible software and OS add-ons, all the while believing the trouble is with the OS itself.

Once the devs have had a chance to catch up (and they mostly have, at this point), you're good to go. Just make sure you do a clean install.

Reaction score
At this point I'm going to have to say that for me 10.6.2 is pretty darn stable:

uptime
6:30 up 85 days, 16:02, 2 users, load averages: 0.53 0.34 0.33

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok lads you have convinced me its time . Now I know what Ill do tonight after work.

Clay

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok lads you have convinced me its time . Now I know what Ill do tonight after work.

Clay

Just a check list before you get started:

1. Run maintenance on the current install using a tool like Onyx.
2. Use a tool like AppFresh to make sure all of your apps are up to date.
3. Backup using a tool like SuperDuper or CCC to an external.
4. Do a clean install (most important).
5. Use the migration assistant to migrate your data/apps/settings from the external drive back into your fresh install of OS X.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Clay

Nice one my friend, come and join us :) and dont forget to change your spec's under your avatar ......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just a check list before you get started:

1. Run maintenance on the current install using a tool like Onyx.
2. Use a tool like AppFresh to make sure all of your apps are up to date.
3. Backup using a tool like SuperDuper or CCC to an external.
4. Do a clean install (most important).
5. Use the migration assistant to migrate your data/apps/settings from the external drive back into your fresh install of OS X.

I'm curious why you suggest migration assistant instead of restore from Time Machine backup.
I upgraded as soon as I could last year but have been contemplating a clean install instead. No real reason, just to know that my MBP is clean as possible. I had planned to restore from my T.M. backup after all was said and done. Any reason not to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.