Switch to Which Mac?

Reaction score
Hi people-
If I'm posting in the wrong place let me know (where) please, but it seemed appropriate...

I'm getting ready to switch from DellHell to Mac in a few months, and have begun the audio portion of my research. I have a Beresford TC-7520 DAC running to my home stereo, and a Bellari VP-530 tube phono pre-amp for burning in my vinyl collection. My question is what would be the best Mac to go with from an audiophile angle? I'm partial to laptops but SO not set on one. Imac, Macbooks, Mac Pro, etc...which one? and which model model will give me the best options for my audio needs? Keep the stock soundcard or upgrade? Tweeks etc...Any experience, or how you've got yours set up would certainly be of help. I'm not crazy about the expression "audiophile" but I'm certainly more than an avid listener. Also I've already got TB of external storage for the music collection that is Mac compat. And any other sites y'all think are worthy to post on would help too. Grazie!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Everyone will come in and give there opinions, but i have a 2008 MB white and cant be happier with the sound that comes out of it. Im not a audiophile but do enjoy my tunes, and i have a good 5.1 system coming out of mine, and i get complaints from the neighbours not BC of the type of music i play but from the sound. Bass rumbles through the walls, floors and ceiling without a problem.

So what im saying is the low end of Mac's are in the top end for sound :)

Im happy

cheers

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Note: moved to a better forum

OP
V
Reaction score
Decision...Maybe

After posting in many, many places, talking to some Mac/Guru friends, and Jeff over at Beresford (My DAC maker), for me the best way to get my audio and Mac needs met, seems to also be a money saver as well! Instead of a way buff Mac Pro at 2,800$ minimum, with the add-ons I want, it would seem that a 699$ Mac-Mini as my dedicated music maker/server etc...& a mid range Mac Book Pro at about 1,500$ for the art and biz would be the best of all worlds. Crazy huh? Any thoughts? Please let me know, if for any reason, this doesn't seem to make the most sense to you. And thanks everyone for all your help and patience.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would definitely reccomend the MacBook Pro. You can get a very good deal from the Apple store on a refurb with the same as new warranty . . . of course it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.