Issue With Files In itunes ???

Reaction score
Hi

When accessing documents on my Macbook to play an audio file from one of my music folders, itunes keeps adding the file to its library by defalt which is what I don't want, is it not possible to stream audio files and not have them added to the library? I went in to itunes preferences but could not find anything to modify this setting. :(

Reaction score
Hey there!

To have iTunes play your files from where they are and NOT copy them into its library, you need to uncheck the "Copy Files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" box.

Here's a pic (notice mine is checked):

screenshot20100215at233.png

In the Advanced tab.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Hi

Complied with what you said but still the files are being added! to the library, i have to keep manually deleting them for them not to be there, i've tried everything possible, what exactly could be the issue? :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
When you say that it keeps adding files to the library, do you mean to the iTunes music folder, or just to the single "iTunes music library.xml file ? Once you uncheck those things, nothing should physically be added to the iTunes folder.

I personally don't use iTunes but know this to be true. If you want an alternative, you can use VLC player and just add files to its playlist to stream if you have persistent problems with iTunes. If you want to switch media players all together, try Songbird.

Doug

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
When you say that it keeps adding files to the library, do you mean to the iTunes music folder, or just to the single "iTunes music library.

Hi Doug

Pretty new to itunes, maybe you can confirm the difference between it's music folder and the library, this could be where i'm going wrong? :[

Reaction score
iTunes' music folder (where it drops all the music when you ask it to) is this:

/your_user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

The iTunes window is called the Library. All the files info you drag into iTunes' window (whether they are copied to this above folder or not) are stored in the 'iTunes Library' file which is here: /your_user/Music/iTunes/

But that's a really small file I'm talking about.

So the difference between the music folder and the library is that the music folder stores all your mp3s and m4as and stuff, and the library is just like a database file (a small one) for all the info to be displayed in iTunes.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Ok! thanks for the info nalsi, willl work on it. :D

Musicmad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.