• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Going Intel... Article Link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
hmm , kind of interesting .

B

badmojo

Ghostshadow said:
hmm , kind of interesting .

I thought it was always ironic that Apple was buying chips from IBM, the "notorious" corporation that consumed Jobs in the early years of Apple. This move makes sense on many fronts, as Intel is THE largest chip supplier in the world. They have the horses for R & D, and likely will develop an Apple-only chip. I don't think Jobs & Co. are bluffing this time.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Interesting read.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mod note: merged the two threads.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
zdnet said:
Due diligence. If Apple is about to make a CPU decision - whether that’s simply the renewal of a major contract or a major change doesn’t really matter- they have an obligation to their customers and shareholders to carefully check out the competition.
After reading the zdnet article. I am incline to believe the above to the case.

Reaction score
I thought the possibility of Intel buying out Freescale to get the intellectual property rights was pretty interesting. Freescale does a lot of RT chips besides doing Power.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is Apple getting too big for IBM? I know AMD doesn't have the production capacity to keep up with Dell's demands which is why Dell doesn't use AMD. Could this be a similar thing?

Reaction score
I would think it'd be nicer to have an AMD processor inside your Mac than an Intel processor. Why switch from one overheating/underperforming processor to another? Intels added production capacity is nice if IBM isn't able to keep up with demand, but even AMD wouldn't have a problem supplying apple.

I would like to see some details on whether this is a "Mac Only" processor, of if there will be a version of OS X ported to x86.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think Apple is getting to big for IBM. I really think it is more contrast issues, than anything else.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is more like the James Bond rumor that keeps popping up. The Intel rumor continues to keep popping up also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I say the same thing every time this rumor gets rehashed.

Switching to Intel/x86 will break all third-party applications.

First, Any OSX-PowerPC binary app would have to be recompiled from source to create an OSX-x86 version. This version would then have to be tested and most likely "tweaked." This process is not free, and some software vendors would probably just drop OSX support altogether, because it would be a lot of work for a small market.

Second, this creates a split in the Mac market. Existing users would have PowerPC hardware; new buyers would have Intel hardware. Developers would have to decide whether to A) support only the new architecture or B) maintain two seperate Mac version of their software. B is expensive for the developers. A would alienate existing customers, who would not be able to buy new software for thier PowerPC machines

Third, existing customers have cllections of PowerPC software. If they purchased one of these new x86 Macs, they would have to pay to upgrade all of it.

Seriously, people. We've heard this before. It's a nice idea, but it's not practical. Even if it did happen, it wouldn't change things much: you'd still have to buy an Apple box to run OS X, and the Apple box would still cost more than a Dell box with the same x86 CPU, because Apple has to pay for OS X development and Dell doesn't.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there some reason why Intel couldn't produce a PowerPC chip? Everybody assumes that going intel means x86, is that 100% correct? I have no clue, that is why I am asking.

E

EvoMac

There is no way that apple would use a x86 chip. If they were to go with Intel, I'm sure that they would develop a PowerPC chip. However as said in the article, its rumor and speculation.

However if it would occur they would not make a chip that would literally render everything that is out for OS X now useless.

Reaction score
Intel's R&D department is in a struggle right now trying to get their x86 processors back in the competative market. They simply do not have the time right now to develop a Power PC processor unless Apple was going to pay heavily for all the R&D. So it is unlikely that Intel is developing a processor for Apple. It is just as unlikely that Apple is going to port to x86. Yes, this would cost them a bunch initially, but it would dramatically increase their number of potential customers. As a PC user I would definetly install a copy of OS X on my PC. You'd get to have the best of both worlds.

OP
M
Reaction score
I would assume even if Apple went to Intel processors, they would make it so you still had to have their proprietary hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Avid6eek said:
I would think it'd be nicer to have an AMD processor inside your Mac than an Intel processor. Why switch from one overheating/underperforming processor to another? Intels added production capacity is nice if IBM isn't able to keep up with demand, but even AMD wouldn't have a problem supplying apple.

I would like to see some details on whether this is a "Mac Only" processor, of if there will be a version of OS X ported to x86.

You guys need to stop thinking about IBM being too small.

As I noted in a previous thread, if you add the revenue from Intl and Microsoft together, you have about 2/3 of IBMs revenue. It is the biggist chip fab company in the world. It's nicknamed the colossus of Armonk for a reason.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple is not going to Intel. If they did, they would loose control over the tightness of the hardware and software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.