"New" iMac G4 has linux, want to restore OS X

Reaction score
Hi all,

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this, but if anyone can help it'll be much appreciated...

I just got an iMac G4, and my main interest is learning about OS X. However this particular Mac has Xubuntu (a Linux distribution) installed in it, and I want to remove it. I can't figure out how to do it, though. I've tried the following:

- Using the grey OS X disc that I was given for it. It boots, and the installer runs, but no hard drive is shown when it ask for a destination - just the CD-ROM.

- Using the white OS X (10.2) upgrade disc I was also given. It also boots but shows no hard drive as a possible destination.

- Booting with an Ubuntu (note: not Xubuntu, but should work all the same) live cd, which allows to boot an OS without mounting the hard drive partitions, thus allowing me to format them. And yet I can't boot from it: pressing C at the prompt just shows a black screen... and it never goes on from there.

Currently the disk has 4 partitions (I have access to the Linux OS, but obviously can't delete partitions while they're being used):

- Apple ??? (doesn't say exactly what it is for)
- Apple bootstrap
- Linux partition (ext3)
- Linux swap

I get that I should delete the Linux partitions and create an HFS+ file system, but can't seem to do it. What can I do?

Thanks for reading (those of you who got this far :Smirk: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
make sure the HD is connected inside - the OSX disc should have seen the drive if connected. With it booted to the OSX CD, does the HD show in Disk Utility?

OP
S
Reaction score
make sure the HD is connected inside - the OSX disc should have seen the drive if connected. With it booted to the OSX CD, does the HD show in Disk Utility?

I don't see a disk utility. The screen in which I get stuck is here.

I imagine the hard drive is indeed connected, since it loads linux fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Disk Utility is up in the menu under Installer see link

let us know what it Disk Utility says.

Also note that holding "Option" instead of "C" will show all boot options. Select the Ubuntu CD from there. Your HD should show there too.

OP
S
Reaction score
Check that - I *do* see a disk utility. It just was inaccessible from that screen.

Yeah, drive is present in disk utility. I'll start using the "erase" function in it.

Thanks a lot!!! I'll post back when it's up and running... :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Yay! It's up!

Just finished installing the OS X upgrade (Jaguar, I think). It looks neat... just have to put some useful software on it. Ironically, since I'm coming from UNIX, I feel far more comfortable in terminal than anything else... :| should take a bit.

Anyway, off to play with this toy... Will post in another thread later... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.