PDA

View Full Version : Ipod or RAM

zap2
05-22-2005, 03:42 PM
So im either going to buy a ipod photo 30gb, 2 Gb ram for my imac g5( right now its has 1 gb, and it was faster on panter so 2gb would speed it up on tiger) or safe the money. Right Now i have the 4gb gold mini( will be one on 6/1/05) and a shuffle but my school is starting to use ipod for school work and my mini can not use the italk,and school stuff would fill up my mini ipod. ANy thoughts?
The price for the ram would be $222 from crucial.com, the ipod would be 319 plus tax, my grand mother said she would pay half of the ipod so perhaps i could get her to pay 165 of the RAM( or half of RAM{111})

edgefusion
05-22-2005, 04:31 PM
You need a magic 8-ball widget.

xthisisRomancex
05-22-2005, 04:56 PM
hmm.. .what are u doing on the imac to be slowing it down with a gig.
open up ur activity monitor and look at the usage of ram and if u never get it to 100% then getting new ram wouldnt be worth it...

zap2
05-22-2005, 05:06 PM
hmm.. .what are u doing on the imac to be slowing it down with a gig.
open up ur activity monitor and look at the usage of ram and if u never get it to 100% then getting new ram wouldnt be worth it...

its not that it is slow it is still a very fast computer but not a fast as when it had 10.3,

zap2
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
with 2 forefox windows open, on itunes, talking to 2 people on ichat, 2 docs on pages, and dashbaord with 10 wigets on, i have 378mb free,that would be me doing more then i normal do. However it is slowe then when it was on 10.3 and i love how fast it ran on 10.3.

badmojo
05-23-2005, 10:02 AM
So im either going to buy a ipod photo 30gb, 2 Gb ram for my imac g5( right now its has 1 gb, and it was faster on panter so 2gb would speed it up on tiger) or safe the money. Right Now i have the 4gb gold mini( will be one on 6/1/05) and a shuffle but my school is starting to use ipod for school work and my mini can not use the italk,and school stuff would fill up my mini ipod. ANy thoughts?
The price for the ram would be $222 from crucial.com, the ipod would be 319 plus tax, my grand mother said she would pay half of the ipod so perhaps i could get her to pay 165 of the RAM( or half of RAM{111})

You're probably not going to see a real performance bump going from 1 GB to 2 GB on the iMac, if you're using standard applications. Now what's this about schools using iPods for work? Save the money for the next iMac. You'll be glad you did.

EvoMac
05-23-2005, 10:06 AM
I would personally get the iPod. The difference in the 1-2gb of ram under normal use will not equal out the benefits of having a new iPod.

To make the jump from 1-2gb would make a difference mostly when you are using apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc...

zap2
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
i don't need a new imac for a few years, my schoool is using ipods for forgein languege,(Spanish for me) my mini can not use italk but a photo can and i would need more hard drive to use on for school work. I think that i may save my money to buy an ipod before i go back to school( I end school in like 18 day so my mini could last me the summer) Then my ipod would be the newest ipod out and it would be in good condition.

mynameis
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I would personally get the iPod. The difference in the 1-2gb of ram under normal use will not equal out the benefits of having a new iPod.

To make the jump from 1-2gb would make a difference mostly when you are using apps like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc...

I concur, I couldn't have said it better.

Tel
05-23-2005, 05:37 PM
iPod, no doubt. Still probably my favorite Mac product ever. I coultn't live without it.

rs2sensen
05-23-2005, 09:28 PM
just curious, for all u Tiger users, how much Ram does Tiger's widgets use?I use Konfabulator on Panther and I know it's a huge memory hog.

If u used pro applications like photoshop, finalcut pro, etc, I would go with the Ram, otherwise the iPod for sure

witeshark
05-24-2005, 12:41 AM
To the beginning, 1 G RAM is plenty, I say iPod time