Xp Bootcamp problems...still

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been looking around for some help with my MBP and bootcamping Xp on it. Loads of thread on the issues but non of the solutions posed work for me. I'd descrbe myself as very good with a computer, I worked reparing computer hardware for years and now do programming but this problem has me stumped.

Its the standard problem that other uses on these forums have had, start the Xp instillation, choose the correct bootcamp partition, format it, it copies files, restarts and then.....

"No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I'v tried all the possible solutions I've seen on these forums and others but none work. I'v tried around 8 different Disks, some original MS disks, some sp2 and sp3, one's Windows 7, other's burned from our MS partnership pack thingie, and the burned ones are all different brands of disk. I'v tried taking the disk out after the restart, leaving it in. Re installing from scratch, fromatting in fat 32, NTFS, different size bootcamp partitions, formatting the machine and re installing OS X 10.5. OS X is fully up to date too. My bootcamp is version 2.0 according to the info pane in OS X.

If I think of anything else I have forgotten I'll post it up, this driving me nuts :Shouting:
I'm going on a trip in 4 days and would really prefferrr to take my Mac instead of the crappy laptop I've got as a standy by ( I'v been trying all of the above for 8 days now, a different thing every day! ! ! )

The Mac is an Intel Core 2 Duo, late 2007, 2.2 Mhz with 2 GB of ram, if that helps at all.

I take it the bootcamp is the highest version available to that version of OS X 10.5? I know technically that Win 7 is't compattable with 10.5 but I gave it a try anyway.

OP
C
Reaction score
I noticed that when trying to install Windows Vista, at the select hard drive partition Vista doesn't see any partitions at all. Anyone else ever seen this behaviour. Could my HDD be beginning to fail? Disk Utility reports no problems.

Reaction score
Bootcamp problem

Hi, How big is the partition what you creating with bootcamp? Is it really necessary to format that partition again in windows setup?
Anyway... if you want to use win7 then better to get snow leopard cose it has new drivers for it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,
the partitions have been various sizes from 20 GB up to 35 GB and a few sizes in between. When you partition in boot camp you must format the partition to a relevant format in the windows instillation, else Windows wont see it, its mentioned in the boot camp manual. I know about the drivers for Windows 7 being on the snow leopard disk and not on the leopard disk, just though I'd give it a try just to see what would happen, nothing else I can think to do here! :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Hi, Well it is better to see what happens really but: did you tried switch off and pull out the plug or take out battery? (is it possible?) I installed xp and later win7 on my imac no problem at all. I only used bootcamp. Other thing is try to install refit in refit when it starts you can go to the menu and refresh partitions. i have no better idea now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.