• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Encrypted DvDs?!

N

normal1

Okay so I got a dvd movie which I want to back up to my external HDD (because I own it!) - anywhom, this dvd is encrypted, that was said by DVD2OneX and Handbrake said "No valid title found" and MTR said some other stuff, anyway does anyone know how to go around this? is it even possible?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
mac the ripper from versiontracker.com will sort you out ;)

OP
N

normal1

inflexion said:
mac the ripper from versiontracker.com will sort you out ;)

Yeah I have that, it rips it then I have handbrake convert it and it says "No valid title found" which afaik is something to do with encryption? or am I wrong?

OP
K

Kokopelli

I assume you have tried handbrake directly on the DVD?

Also when you rip with MTR is the resulting S_Folder playable in DVD player or VLC?

What disc is it?

OP
N

normal1

Its National Treasure. I have not tried to play the folder in a dvd player. The disc plays fine tho and yes, your assumption is correct.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was able to make a Back up of my National Treasure DVD using MacTheRipper and then DVD2OneX. The only problem I ran into that I have never ran into before using the Mac was the Copy skips all over the place on my Sony DVD Player. It's fine though on any computer DVD player I tried it on, and as well as my other non Sony players in both the front room and bedroom. The main reason I back up is I will not take my origional movies anywhere and often visit people and take the copy. Took it over to my neighbors to watch it with them and it played fine on their Cheap Set Top DVD machine. The Sony was the only machine that would not play it.

I knew they were up to some trick so I fired up my P4 and used ANYDVD with DVDShrink and that copy would play fine on the Sony.

I got no error though at all using MacTheRipper (Latest Version) and DVD2OneX. After this thread I tried it also on the Mini with Tiger instead of Panther and results were the same.

OP
N

normal1

cool, care to give me a quick run through of how you did it?

hmm I think I got it. Thankies! :)

OP
N

normal1

This is hilarious, I went to purchase DVD2oneX and they were supposed to send me some sort of confirmation before I actualy purchased it, they sent me the email but the number wasnt valid. Is there some other software thats not done by some 12 year olds that does the same thing as DVD2oneX?

OP
S

sonofapplepm

I ripped my copy of National Treasure using Mac The Ripper and compressed and burned it with Popcorn. It plays fine, but is slightly grainy because of the amount of compression!

OP
N

normal1

so I guess if it isnt overcompressed it'll be fine. I'll have to buy popcorn then

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.